Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sylwester Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 08:08 AM
    How to fill out W-7 form to get ITIN by Polish Resident
    Hi,

My friend has been inhered a pension from her grandfather who died. She must fill out a W-7 form to get an ITIN from IRS. The main problem is a filling a reason (the top of first page). The IRS recently not accepted W-7 form and said : "You did not provide the exception you have met, your country of residence or the applicable treaty article number"
    Can somebody help with this?

Regards,
    Sylwester
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 22, 2006, 04:39 PM
    Why can she not wait until tax time?

Sep 24, 2006, 03:53 AM
    She need to get ITIN first and next get a pension
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 24, 2006, 08:11 AM
    She needs a letter from the pension plan administrator stating that she needs an ITIN. Attach a copy of that letter to the W-7, and the IRS will then issue her one.

Sep 24, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Hi,

I don't know what is pension plan administrator. Her grandfather worked plumber. She is Polish resident.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 24, 2006, 04:41 PM
    If she is to inherit a pension, someone will be sending a monthly check or, if it is a lump sum, one BIG check.

The writer of that check needs to draft a simple letter to the IRS stating that your Polish friend needs an ITIN so they can issue the check.

Your friend may want to consider getting professional help.

Sep 27, 2006, 03:23 PM
    Hi again,

This cause is a long story - about 3 years. My friend gave me old correspondence with plan administrator who write her that ITIN number will be issued by mail. Unfortunately IRS returns W-7 forms cause it is not correctly filled. She didn't received help how to fill out the W-7 form.

Lately IRS sent a green form (Notice 1051) where point 12 says: "...You did not provide the exception you have met, your country of residence or the applicable treaty article number."

So I have checked W-7 instructions to find out what is going on with these four exceptions (to fill out at Reason point H).

Lately she fill A (as the reason) and I think is the most accurate for her situation, but looks like not exactly, cause IRS return W-7.

Regards,
    Sylwester
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 27, 2006, 04:57 PM
    She needs to get professional help to fill the form, or you need to explain in detail why she meets the exception.

Oct 3, 2006, 03:56 AM
    Lately IRS sent a green form (Notice 1051) and have checked a point 12 says: "...You did not provide the exception you have met, your country of residence or the applicable treaty article number."
    So, they need to know more and I don't know what exception from 4 to fill out.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 3, 2006, 08:00 PM
    Okay, if you want to try to help, download IRS Pub 901 from www.irs.gov and see if there is a tax treaty between Poland and the United States.

I still advise she get professional tax help!

Oct 8, 2006, 12:54 AM
    Thank you for response.
    Where can she get professional help? How much it cost?

Regards,
    Sylwester
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 8, 2006, 05:25 PM
    If she is in Poland, have her contact the local US consulate. They can recommend someone local to help her.

Cost should be somewhere in the $100-200 range.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

Which form to fill on OPT but approved H1 starting 2006 [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I am a international student from India. I was working on OPT from Oct 01 2005 till end of year. I filled for my H1 on 18August2005 and it got approved sometime in Nov2005 with the start date for H1 as 12 Feb 2006. Now which form do I need to fill?? Can I still fill the 1040NR-EZ and take both...

Dual status. What to fill in form 1040 NR [ 1 Answers ]

Dear AtlantaTaxExpert, I was on F1 for 2001 and mid 2002 for the duration of my MBA. Left the US by mid 2002. Moved to Europe and worked there for 2003, 2004 and the first three months of 2005. -In April 2005 I quit my job and came to the US on holidays for 45 days. Left the US for a couple of...

What form should I fill out while I am working under OPT? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA for my Master degree in 2003 Aug as a F-1 student. Now, I am working in NJ under OPT. Any body can kindly tell what form I should fill out regard tax? Following is the information about me. - came to USA for study on 2003 Aug (F1 visa) - single - no depedant - no mortgage...

As non-resident, how do I deal with form 4137? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1099-misc for which I should file form 4137 which computes Social security tax and Medicare tax. As F-1 student, I should not pay those. What should I do? File the formm 4137 with my 1040NR and write 0 o lines 10 and 11? How do I explain that? Write a note that I should be exempt? Thanks!

View more questions Search