Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 21, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Financial statements
    I'm a principal owner and director of my company. Every once in a while the accountant gives me the financial statement.

I have no idea how to interpret this. On the cover there is an index with 12 pages and 3 schedules. I believe the only important one is page 1, the balance sheet.

There are a lot of numbers and everything balances out (kinda makes me suspicious but I guess that's why it's called a balance sheet). I think the most important line is 'shareholders' equity'.

Where's my money? In Share capital, contributed surplus or retained earnings. And how can I check these numbers are correct (all the other pages must be supporting evidence)?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 21, 2006, 09:01 AM
    We would need to know more about the structure of your company. Is it incorporated? Publicly traded?

Generally shareholder equity is what is what the company is worth after liabilities are paid out.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 21, 2006, 10:14 AM
    It's incorporated. I asked my accountant and she said we're doing quite good. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 21, 2006, 11:29 AM
    I would have a sitdown with the accountant and ask her to explain the financials in detail. If she gives you a hassle about it, it would set off alarms for me.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2006, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bhayne
    I believe the only important one is page 1, the balance sheet.

There are alot of numbers and everything balances out (kinda makes me suspicious but I guess that's why it's called a balance sheet).
    Lol. That is funny. A Balance sheet HAS to balance out. If it doesn’t, your accountant is incompetent.

On to your questions,

You also want to take a look at your Statement of Cash Flows. It is wonderful if you are making a profit, but do you have the cash to sustain yourself?

You also want to look at Return on Equity (Your Net Income divided by your total Shareholder’s Equity). Are you making a good return on your investment?

You also should consider hiring an auditor to audit your books. You should make sure your accountant is not stealing anything from your business. I know you probably trust her and all, which is great, but a lot of cases, theft occurs even with the most trusted of employees.

I am not saying do an audit every year, because that will get VERY expensive. But once and a while (every 3 years or so) would be OK if it’s a small company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash flow statements [ 1 Answers ]

How banks determine a client's requirements based on their cash flow forecast

Balance sheets & Income Statements [ 2 Answers ]

I recently was asked to take a test for an interview on Balance sheets or Income Statement credit or debit. Please give me some examples for Balance Sheet and Income Statements being a credit or debit.

Financial Statements: Cost Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

1 Finished goods inventory. $16,000 2. Finished goods inventory. $14,000 3. Depreciation, factory $21,000 4. Administrative expenses $45,000 5. Utilities, factory $12,000 6. Maintenance, factory $26,000 7....

Interpreting Financial Statements [ 1 Answers ]

I just seen to not understand what to do in the question. Can someone help me?:confused: The year 2000 was not particularly pleasant year for the managers of Xeros Corp, or its shareholders. The company's stock price had already fallen in the previous year from 60 dollars per share to 30...

View more questions Search