Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2006, 07:31 AM
    How can I get nice thumbnail images for use on web site?
    I want small, nice quality thumbnails of screenshots (for web use), like the ones here.

My screen shot app gives me images of these dimensions and size:
    1002x622, 200kb
    and
    1002x992, 320kb

I use PhotoshopElements to reduce them and optimize them for web use.

Reducing them down to 370 wide results in some graininess, like here.

Reducing them down even further, like the good ones I like, makes them horrible.

So which do I need
    1. Higher quality screen shots to start with? (And if so, how can I get them).
    or
    2. Another method of reducing them.

Thanks!
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Sep 21, 2006, 07:54 AM
    Pictures on the web are generally low-res, but 72 dpi is more than sufficient for web use.

Use CTRL + PRINT SCREEN to grab the image then paste the image into your picture editor. Save it.

I use FrontPage for creating a website which has an "auto thumbnail".
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2006, 09:34 AM
    I haven't used FP in quite some time. I use Dreamweaver... but suppose that neither of them has the power of PhotoshopElements.

Are you able to get good looking thumbnails, like those I linked to, using FP?
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Sep 21, 2006, 01:28 PM
    Yes, I think so.

123.jpg is a CONTROL PRINTSCREEN resized in Photoshop CS2, for 200 x 150 (1600 x 1200)/8

124_small is auto-thumbnailed in FP. Again size 200 x 150.

They look as sharp as the ones you linked to?

I vaguely remember reading an article in one of the photo mags about resizing "evenly". e.g I take an image 1600 x 1200 and divide by 8 to get the thumbnail, not too sure how the interpolation software that is used to resize images would try and figure out 1600 x 1200 divided by 4. To get the thumbnails you are after.:confused: I'll muck about at work and see what happens.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too nice ? Help [ 35 Answers ]

Recently I have noticed that my g/f seems a bit detached from me when we are together. Ive been thinking about this a lot recently and after doing some reading on the internet it's obvious I'm a 'nice guy' and that's not what women want. Id rather we didn't get into a debate with some arguing that...

Dating a Nice Guy [ 24 Answers ]

I met a man recently who is a terrific in many ways. He's divorced, but he only has good things to say about his ex-wife (who cheated on him). He has a child he adores. He is loving toward his extended family. He has a good job. I went out with him a few times. After our second date, he...

Nice guy or not? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a friend whom I met through the daycare I work at. He seems like a really nice guy but people have been saying stuff to me that is starting to get to me. He also works with kids, coaches a kids basketball team, and is going to college after he graduates to be a pediatrician/councelor for...

New web site - thumb images not displaying [ 1 Answers ]

I have just uploaded new web site - www.bridalsales.ie. As can be seen on the "Sale Preview" page some of the thumb images (9 out of 24) not displaying. However, all seems OK on my local copy launched from within Frontpage. I have double checked that all .JPG's have been uploaded. Looking for any...

View more questions Search