Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tommie1120 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Daschund terror
    I have a 2 1/2 year old male dashund who I got when he was about 1 year old. He has a lot of aggressive issues and we think he was abused before we got him. When I walk him he goes crazy at the sight of other dogs, runners, bikers, big trucks... I can control this behavior most of the time but some times he is so out of control he is swinging insanely on the end of the leash and barking like a mad dog. I don't want to stop walking him (I have a female dashund who walks with him and does not act like this, and I would not feel right walking one and not the other) but he is the little terror of the neighborhood. Would muzzling be of any help and if so what type of muzzle? Any other suggestions?
    fire_ball19 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 06:33 AM
    The thing about animals is that they are unpredictable and then some times their not, but one thing I do know is that if you take some treats with you on your walk and when your dog acts up what you got to do is make the dog lay down on his side because when a dog is on their side they feel most comfortable and helpless and that's when you tell the dog no we don't bark at whatever it is that its barking at and you keep doing this until your dog learns not to bark at these things and every time the dog doesn't bark give it a treat.
    Lianne20 Posts: 33, Reputation: 5

Sep 21, 2006, 07:11 AM
    This is what my friend did with her crazy mutt, and it worked!.
    Every time he goes crazy at something, just turn around and walk in the other direction until he calms down again. Then give him lots of praise and try again, carry on walking as normal. Every single time he acts up though, you must turn around and walk the other way, giving him no attention whatsoever. Just say "NO". But when he behaves again, stroke him and make a fuss. Keep repeating this and he should eventually get the message, but you have to be consistent for it to work! Good luck!
    badgerdogbren Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2006, 02:05 PM
    This is about leadership and he is taking over this role at the present time. One thing is never let him walk out in fornt of you but he must remain at your side. You determine the pace and direction and keep his head up and focused. If on your walk he starts spazing out of control at another dog and you cannot get him to just walk the other direction pick him up by the scruff and let him hang there like a mama dog does for a few seconds. He has an automatic response to relax to this. Once he is relaxed a bit put him down and forge ahead. Don't fight him on these walks and don't ever let him determine how they go. I doubt he was ever abused he just sounds like a high energy, dominant personality. I have those here too and I have to remember to NEVER let them lead me- I lead them. Here is another helpful hint. Anytime you go out a door YOU must go first not him. He waits till you have walked through the door and then lead him or invite him out or in his canine mind he is leading and that behavior will continue throughout the walk. Before you go for a walk do a couple of practice runs around the yard or neighborhood MAKING him stay beside you and follow you until he gets the picture and then you should have an easier time. Dachshunds are very strong-willed so you have to be even stronger. I have 11 of them and we go on unleashed walks everyday through the woods and all of them know when I bark the order to get in line "on the trail" they better listen. They repect the leadership and I never have any problems. I wish you the best.
    Brenda
    Harmony Dachshund Ranch-VA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschund [ 4 Answers ]

I have a five month old Daschund. Can you please tell me at what age will he be considered full grown??

Daschund,daschund,daschund [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it that I am seeing daschund questions so frequently? Has anyone else noticed that?

I'm 12 getting a Daschund, hopefully... [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 12 (almost 13) and my Nickname (I will NOT tell my real name, first or last) is Kanari. I'm allowed to get a puppy for my birthday (Apr.2) but it has to be a golden retriever. We have a golden retriever already, and they are cute and beautiful and stuff (And we've had another golden retriever...

Help with my daschund [ 7 Answers ]

THis is my first dog and I've done everything that my moms told me to do with house training he goes pee outside then he comes inside and 10 minutes later I find a puddle, I'm starting to get fed up with cleaning it up all the time. What should I do? Oh and another thing HE TARES EVERYTHING UP!!...

New Daschund [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, We just got a new little mini daschund, a male. WE have had him about 10 days and he just turned 8 weeks. We are doing OK with the pottie training but are having difficulty with the crate. Our breeder suggested paper and out side training and we were doing both.. Taking him out...

View more questions Search