Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sagar1301 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 04:23 AM
    Disk partitoning
    I have bought a laptop with 80 GB hard disk with 2 GB RAM. I want to keep two OS, Windows (15 GB) and linux ( 65 GB, likely centos)... to make the partition most effective I need some feedback on how much space to give to each partition... for linux ….. /var, swap, /opt, /usr, /tmp, /usr, /software, /, /etc, /home (please suggest if any other partition is also required), ………so on so forth….. among all these partition which are needed to be separate than root and which can be combined in root without any disadvantage….how much space should be given to each of them….my first preference is to save data in cases of crash than to have big space in /home….. as well as good speedy performance again have priority over home space…..
    jham_lindow Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Who made the laptop, and did it come with any CD-ROMs? I cannot help if you don't tell me that minimum information. Also tell me what the CD-ROMs are. This would be very helpful.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 22, 2006, 01:31 AM
    Jham, please reread the questions as your requested information is NOT needed.

Now to the queston in hand.
    If I'm reading you correctly you want to set it up something like this:
    • Windows - 15 Gb
    • Linux - 65 Gb
      with seperate "drives" for:
      • /var
      • /swap
      • /opt
      • /usr
      • /tmp
      • /usr
      • /software
      • /home

Ok very possible but really unneeded.
    It is perfectly OK to just have one "drive" for the whole of Linux and run the required directories from the root of that drive.

Just one thing to bear in mind.
    It would be best to allocate the largest "drive" to the OS you will use most often, so if its Windows then give that the 65Gb part and the 15Gb for Linux.
    Windows is the major piece of bloatware here so give it the most space.

With you concerns of a crash, just ensure to take regular, off machine backups, to something like a cd or even another attached hard drive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disk Drive [ 3 Answers ]

I can't get CD drive to read any CDs. Get command "Please insert disk into drive D:." even though a disk is present. I have disabled the DVD/CDROM drives in the device manager and rebooted, but that didn't help. I show two drives present, a LITEON CD-ROM LTN382, and a SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B. ...

Can't check disk [ 9 Answers ]

Hiya all Wonder if someone can help. Got a notebook from work, tried to do a check disk, but, it gets to the last stage (5) then warns me that windows has had to be shut down before any irepareable damage is done to my O/S. I have to manually shut it down, start up in safe mode and then go to the...

Local Disk [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, I just want to ask, since I don't know what to do yesterday about my 2 local disk partition, I decided to re-install the OS, and delete all the local partition that I have. What's left to me is the C:\ drive, I lost the drive that has a 7.8 MB free space. Is there a way I can retrieve...

Local Disk [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Kindly help, My laptop has 2 local disk c:\ and D:\ how can I make it just one. My C:\ DRIVE has a 7.8 MB free space I want to transfer it to D:\ DRIVE who has A 18.5 MB free space. Your Kind help is very much appreaciated. Br, Yolly

Boot disk [ 3 Answers ]

I received a new computer with XP operating system. While I was loading programs the system crashed and lost the windows/system32 file and would not boot up. I looked for the recovery disk in the box, none found, so I had to do a complete install. Can I create a bootable recovery disk for this...

View more questions Search