Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennifermajewsk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 09:16 PM
    Kindergarten homeschool for four year old
    If I homeschool my four year old in Kindergarten can she go to school next year as a first grader?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jennifermajewsk View Post
    If I homeschool my four year old in Kindergarten can she go to school next year as a first grader?
    She can if you follow the proper curriculum. However, she will be missing out on a very important part of school if you homeschool kindergarten. That would be the socialization. Most of kindergarten is to teach children how to socialize properly and listen to adults of authority... to sit still and learn, etc.

If you decide to do this, she may have a very hard time adjusting to a bigger classroom.
    momoffour5 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Yes, you may certainly homeschool your four year old and then send her to public school next school year. Each state has different homeschooling guidelines so be sure to check these before starting. Most states have the legal age as 6 or 7 before a child has to begin schooling. There are many excellent curriculum resources to choose from but generally a 1/2 day program is sufficient.
    I would suggest that you join a Mom's Play Group with your little one maybe once a week so your child has the opportunity to interact with other children. Or you could informally meet with other Moms and start your own play group.
    Good Luck with your decision.
    momoffour5 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by momoffour5 View Post
    Yes, you may certainly homeschool your four year old and then send her to public school next school year. Each state has different homeschooling guidelines so be sure to check these before starting. Most states have the legal age as 6 or 7 before a child has to begin schooling. There are many excellent curriculum resources to choose from but generally a 1/2 day program is sufficient.
    I would suggest that you join a Mom's Play Group with your little one maybe once a week so your child has the opportunity to interact with other children. Or you could informally meet with other Moms and start your own play group.
    Good Luck with your decision.
    It is up to your school district whether to allow your child to enter first grade as a 5 year old even if she has completed the kindergarten curriculum.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2009, 06:41 PM

Hi hon.

I would suggest doing homeschool for your child at age 4 and 5, and then letting her start in Kindergarten. That's what I did. My duaghter is learning things this year in kindergarten that I couldn't teach her at home. How to listen to someone other than mommy. Learning the school rules in an atmosphere where slip ups are tolerated (they are much more strict in 1st grade) and learning how to get along in a classroom setting with peers.

It's a choice you have to make for yourself. I had to think long and hard, because there is no turning back. I wanted to homeschool indefinitely, but my duaghter was DYING to start school in a public school. So I let her go.

But if you start homeschooling, and continue too long, it will get harder and harder each year you wait to let your child go to public school after homeschooling.

I hope that makes sense?

*EDIT* I'm sorry! I didn't notice the date. Forgive me. But I won't remove it in case someone is interested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Public kindergarten vs. Homeschool kindergarten [ 24 Answers ]

I am a concerned grandma. My son & daughter-in-law are going to homeschool my grandson for kindergarten and then send him to public first grade next year when his sister will go to public kindergarten. He will be 6 the end of December. He is very bright and the actual learning part of...

Can I homeschool Kindergarten to start my child early? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. So glad to have found this sight. I have an almost 4 year old (late Dec Bday) girl who is now reading and writing. She is very mature and clearly gifted. I asked my elementary school principal about starting her in K early and she said they never do that due to social reasons, etc. ...

Should I homeschool my children? [ 21 Answers ]

I have recently decided to be a stay at home mom and am now considering homeschooling my three children (3rd - 6th grade). I homeschooled last semester, but I was also attending college full time. As you could imagine, things didn't go quite well. I was struggling between home, school, and...

Can I still homeschool my child [ 6 Answers ]

I want to know when I can start haomeschooling my daughter she is 3 but, is already learning what you do in 1st grade. I use to be a aide in a dayschool( it's kind of like preschool but, a bit diffrent) but, when ca I start is it too early to start now? I'm have a mild form of desexlia(with both...

Want to homeschool my 14 year old [ 2 Answers ]

I plan on homeschooling my 14 year old who is in ninth grade he is doing terrible in school. I have tried to transfer but they won't. I live in Queens, NY. How do I go about doing this? I know I have to send a letter to the District informing them of my intentions. Then they send me a form to...

View more questions Search