Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julian Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2006, 11:35 PM
    My jaw/teeth is kind of protruded
    Does having braces alone will treat my problem? Both of my upper and lower jaw is protruded. BTW I'm only 16
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2006, 04:51 AM
    No. Braces only straighten teeth. There are other devices, though, that an orthodontist can recommend for "moving" jaws... but you might be too old.

I'd ask your parents if they would take you for a consultation with an orthodontist.

Sep 21, 2006, 07:25 PM
    May I know what are those devices? As of now, I have braces for 5 months and my dentist said that my bite is okay but still, my jaw is protruded. Can I ask those "devices" from my dentist?

I don't have money for surgery if that's the only solution :(
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2006, 03:26 AM
    I don't know the names of the devices to move back; 2 of my kids have used a device (Herbst Device) do do the opposite: move the jaw forward.

This is an orthodontic issue, not a dental one. The dentist would refer you to an orthodontist.

Call around. A reputable orthodontist would consult with you for free... and at least give you an idea of what would be needed - and if it's even possible - and how much it would cost.

Can't hurt to ask.

Sep 22, 2006, 05:02 AM
    Okay thanks. BTW, as far as I Know, Herbst appliance is used to move the lower jaw forward. Does it also help move the upper jaw forward?

Still hoping there's a solution for my prob aside from having a surgery :( :(

I hope if there's an appliance that helps move jaw forward, there's also for backward

OT: Does installing the brace is an orthodontist's job or dentist's?
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2006, 05:05 AM
    No. Herbst is to move lower jaw forward. And I should add to this: Your upper "jaw" is not really your "jaw". It's a part of your entire skull. There is no "moving" of the upper jaw without major (very major) surgery.

Sep 23, 2006, 08:24 PM
    Is it okay If I will ask my orthodontist about my jaw problem (jaw protrusion) because I'm afraid that she would laugh at me. Still hoping to solve my problem w/out a surgery :( :(
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2006, 04:02 PM
    Yes, ask her. She will NOT laugh at you. She will be happy to explain all to you - and if there's a non-surgical option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had a dream that was kind of weird. [ 2 Answers ]

I had 2 dreams that I was kissing my best friend. But my best friend is not a girl. It's a boy, his name is jerimy and he was my friends boyfriend but he has always been my best friend. Any-way I had a dream that we were kissing. I don't know what it means, I know that even though he is not my...

Kind of Personal [ 8 Answers ]

I was recently married to a wonderful man but I WEIGH 270 pounds... we are both young and i can't help but think my husband would like to have a very intimate night with me but they don't make any ''sexy'' outfits for women my size. At least i can't find anywhere where they do. I want to spice up...

Baby Shower - kind of long - need help [ 5 Answers ]

I'm have a very akward situation. My youngest (21) sister is pregnant. She's the youngest of three girls and is the first to have a child. When she was only 2 months pregnant her best friend (19) said she wanted to throw the baby shower, which is fine. I know that customary the family members of...

Kind of red bump on my penis [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, I'm 15 years old, and I was wacking off a couple days ago, and felt this bump, it's like the color of my penis. I'm circumsized. I don't know if that makes a difference. What should I do? Could someone PLEASE give me some advice, I'm like freaking out here. I don't want to loose my dick.

View more questions Search