Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prabhjot Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2006, 10:19 PM
    Thyroid problem reason for hair loss?
    How alopecia areata can be treated.

I want to ask one more query as my weight is losing and my hair are falling so can thyroid be one of reasons for hair fall.

Thanks
    prabhjot
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Sep 21, 2006, 08:05 PM
    There is no cure for alopecia areata. There are no drugs approved to treat it. Doctors may use Minoxidil to treat it. Minoxidil is an anti-balding drug that is applied directly to the scalp. Minoxidil is not a cure for baldness, but it will help stimulate new hair growth.

Hormonal problems may cause hair loss. If your thyroid gland is overactive or underactive, your hair may fall out. This hair loss usually can be helped by treatment of the thyroid disease. Hair loss may occur if male or female hormones, known as androgens and estrogens, are out of balance. Correcting the hormone imbalance may stop your hair loss.

Please go see a doctor. The doctor will probably ask you some questions about your diet, any medicines you're taking, whether you've had a recent illness and how you take care of your hair. Then they will examine you to look for other causes of hair loss. Only a doctor can diagnose and treat your condition.
    Xposebmw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2006, 11:09 PM
    I am 21 and used to have long curly hait My Hair is falling out, what can I do I know that I would be number 16 I also might have thyroid desise
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Oct 2, 2006, 07:06 PM
    Xposebmw, if your hair is falling out, you should go to see a doctor just to be safe. The doctor will examine you and make a proper diagnosis.
    bettyboop07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 11:00 PM
    Thyroid Why Hair Loss

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair Loss (for fun) [ 6 Answers ]

I seem to be getting somewhat less hair all the time, Since as an American nothing can be my fault, I must there fore blame someone. I have been trying to decide, anyone have an opinion of who I should blame. 1. Oil companies because of the price of gas 2. President Bush ( just because I...

Hair Loss [ 3 Answers ]

I am suffering from hair falling since 6 years. Now my hair have become very thin and my hair line is receding. I am getting bald. Earlier hair fall is negligible but now its unmanageable to tie in a pony. Scalp becomes more visible when ever I comb my hair. Please suggest me something...

Daschund Hair Loss [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has encountered this before... I have a 2 year old standard Daschund. This spring he started developing scabs on his belly. I thought maybe they were just fly bites, but he seems to have more of them now and some on his back. After the scab goes he ends up...

Hair loss [ 1 Answers ]

My daschund is 1yr old and has had some hair loss . My husband bought her for me last Easter. She had some hair loss on her head the vet said it was nothing to worry about but it is getting worse. Could it be her nerves?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cat hair loss [ 3 Answers ]

One of my cats is always licking her stomach and she has lost a lot of fur near her tail. The vet says this is caused by stress, but she doesn't seem very nervous. How can I stop her from licking herself excessively?

View more questions Search