Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Apr 28, 2009, 03:57 PM
    Why did God stop inspiring?
    This is something I have been wondering for awhile. Supposedly, the bible was written by men who were "inspired" by God. Much of it is supposed to be God's word.

SO, was that all God had to say? No one else has been inspired by God to write additional books for over 2000 years? Seems like God would want to convey more direction or wisdom, or support during this long stretch of time. Maybe even have a blog. Why did God stop inspiring?
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2009, 04:04 PM

Good topic Cozy.

I think once he finished the book of revelations he ended it there because well what else is there to cover?

I remember somewhere in the bible it says something amongst the lines of "what is happening has already happened before- history is repetitive"

Which means you can always go back to the bible to find answers to today's problems.

Just a thought.

Sarah
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Apr 28, 2009, 09:58 PM
    God tells us ( by one of His inspired writers) that His ways are not ours. I've found that to be so true, so often in my life. So, I just rest in the fact that He always works things for good in my life even though I don't always know "Why?" He is doing or allowing at the time.

He does have His reasons for not having any more "scripture" inspired. He had His reasons for stopping them from being written for hundreds of years between the writings of the Old Testament and the New. He knows why, we don't.

Maybe He will have some more written just before the Last Day. Maybe so, but He indicates, in what has already given(written), that we have sufficient for gaining salvation and having an abundant life in Christ.

Revelations are still being given among His people today. I get them, but they are not things that I'm told to write or add to scripture. Others get revelations from God and though they may write books on these revelations they they know enough not equate them with scripture.

So, it isn't that God has stopped talking to those of us who have become His children any more. He is still talking to us through the already written word and revealing the meaning by the same Spirit Who moved the "holy men of God" to write the words.

Eph 3:2-13

2 Surely you have heard about the administration of God's grace that was given to me for you, 3 that is, the mystery made known to me by revelation, as I have already written briefly. 4 In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which was not made known to men in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God's holy apostles and prophets. 6 This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

7 I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God's grace given me through the working of his power. 8 Although I am less than the least of all God's people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9 and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things. 10 His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, 11 according to his eternal purpose which he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. 12 In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.
    NIV
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2009, 10:47 PM
    cozyk,
    I do believe that God has NOT stopped inspiring people.
    I know that because He has inspired me from time to time.
    I pray for inspiration and it helps me a lot.
    There are many works that have been written by the apostles and the apostles of the apostles after the last book of the bible were written that were inspired, They are called written tradition and they exist and have been used for centuries.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    mum45 Posts: 62, Reputation: 28

Apr 28, 2009, 11:14 PM
    cozy,
    I think the Bible is the most well known Book, I consider it that. I also believe that people are inspired as much or as little as they desire to be! My life was turned completely around when I threw my hands up in the air and proclaimed to God that he was in charge from that moment on! There are books upon books written by both men and women inspired by what God has done in their lives or about their belief in God! May I recommend a couple. One is "In the Grip of Grace" by Max Lucado, and another is actually a fiction book "The Shack" by William P. Young. They are both wonderful reads, but yet totally different types.

If you have children, you know you love them unconditionally. God's love is unconditional, and we are His children. No matter what we do, He still loves us. We are not perfect, we judge, we all sin in so many different ways, but He is perfect, and He ALWAYS forgives! We just have to ask for it, and its given! I am never that good at being a parent, friend, or wife. I tend to get angry, hold grudges sometimes, and even after someone says "I'm sorry" tend to stay a little miffed!

Anyway, I guess I could go on, but I really urge you to check out the great books by Lucado. That one in particular is one of my favorites. The Shack is a good one if you enjoy reading mystery books, too. Sorry to have ran on so much!
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2009, 11:27 PM
    mum45,
    Thanks for sharing that.
    Fred

Apr 29, 2009, 12:01 AM

I do have a question, though. Did your question actually mean why has there not been anything like the Bible written, inspired by God? If that was what you meant, then my answer was way off what your original intent was, and I do apologize. I guess if that was your question, then my opinion would be that we have to choose to live by faith. I can't tell you where it was written or even IF its written in the Bible that that's it... But I guess that would be my answer to that type of question. Just good old fashioned blind faith! Anyway, hoping I haven't gotten things too screwey!

Apr 29, 2009, 12:07 AM

I meant written since the Bible has been written originally. Think I need to go to bed, couldn't edit, posted too fast. My sincere apologies. Will be more careful!

Apr 29, 2009, 04:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mum45 View Post
    I meant written since the Bible has been written originally. Think I need to go to bed, couldn't edit, posted too fast. My sincere apologies. Will be more careful!
    No need for apologies. I really appreciate your input. I did mean, why nothing had been added to the bible SINCE the last sentence in the last book. I know people still get inspired. I'm inspired by some revelation almost daily. I don't get the urge to tack in onto the existing bible though. I just take that bit of new found knowledge and try to apply it in my life.

It just sounds unbelievable to me that no one has attempted to add more to this collection of books known as the bible in 2000 plus years.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 07:39 AM

Yup, that's a good question cozyk.. It think that everything that needed to be told to people in general was said and that nothing had to be added to it. It someone really had some inspiration, that person would have shared it with someone else one way or another.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 09:34 AM

Cozyk,

What else would you like him to say? Let's recap what He already INSPIRED. Man is a sinner... he got the boot from the garden. God made a promise right there to redeem man back. In the meantime God gave the Law of Moses which no man could keep perfectly ( until Jesus) Jesus came was born, lived a sinless life, died on the cross with all of the sin of mankind on him and rose again. Then the Church area has begun.. and God gave John the book of Revelation to let us see what the future holds. Ok that is a REALLy fast recap.. but you get my drift.

Here is MY question to you. What do you want him to say MORE? You reject almost everything that the Bible already says. I don't get it? You even told me that if you want to know about God that maybe the bible wasn't the best place for some people. I paraphrased your words there.

I believe God has said all HE has to say for now. There will come a time when Jesus Christ will come back to rule and reign for 1000 years according to the Bible. Until then, and Maybe it is just me but heck why don't you work on the inspiration HE already gave you? The B I B L E.

those are my thoughts. You were dying to know them. :)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 09:38 AM

There are many other writings and books , etc... That is inspired by God. Just because certain writings or books and other writers to not get acknowelged by the church does not make it any less inspired in my own opinion.

Apr 29, 2009, 10:55 AM
    [QUOTE=classyT;1700350]Cozyk,

You reject almost everything that the Bible already says. I don't get it? You even told me that if you want to know about God that maybe the bible wasn't the best place for some people. I paraphrased your words there.
    It's not that I reject it as much as I don't think it matters. It does not matter what it says, because I would be living good and moral life anyway. Not out of fear of hell but because of respect to what is right and good. To reject it means I disagree with all it has to say. That is not my position. Some of it, like the stories of Jesus and how he conducted himself is good to know. A great example for everyone. On the other hand, I find it difficult to read, difficult to understand, and much of it boring or irrelevant. Who cares who bore who?

I believe God has said all HE has to say for now. There will come a time when Jesus Christ will come back to rule and reign for 1000 years according to the Bible. Until then, and Maybe it is just me but heck why don't you work on the inspiration HE already gave you? The B I B L E.

What happens after the 1000 years? Did he say that? Did he say when that 1000 years will start? Will the entire planet of people stop in their tracks, world leaders will step down? Give me a pragmatic realist answer of how this coming will be. Maybe that could be another book in the bible.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 11:15 AM

Yup the said that in Revelations 20:4,

Then I saw thrones and seated on them were those who had been given authority to judge. I also saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of the testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. These had not worshiped the beast or his image and had refused to receive his mark on their forehead or hand. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

According to rev 20:3, after that

The angel then threw him into the abyss and locked and sealed it so that he could not deceive the nations until the one thousand years were finished.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 01:07 PM
    That's a pretty bold assumption to think you would live a good and moral life anyway. How did you know what was good and moral, just born with it naturally or did someone help shape your values?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 01:17 PM

The values are within each of our spirit. Our spirit knows what is right and wrong. It is up to us to decide whether to listen our own inner being which is part of God, or rebel. At the same time we are always learning and always growing. It is life long experience. We need to open ourselves up to God, and get him to guide us. He is within us...
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 01:36 PM
    That sounds really nice, but I'm afraid there's more evidence that our values are shaped by outside influences than there is that our values are within us. Actually, I wonder if there is ANY evidence that the values are within us.

Apr 29, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    That's a pretty bold assumption to think you would live a good and moral life anyway. How did you know what was good and moral, just born with it naturally or did someone help shape your values?
    All the above. Plus, it's not bold, it's natural. Are you telling me that you would not be able to do it without instruction?
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyk View Post
    All the above. Plus, it's not bold, it's natural. Are you telling me that you would not be able to do it without instruction?
    If you were born with it there would be no need for instruction, so how can it be "all of the above?" Let me ask, who doesn't grow up without instruction one way or another?

Apr 29, 2009, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    If you were born with it there would be no need for instruction, so how can it be "all of the above?" Let me ask, who doesn't grow up without instruction one way or another?
    You said...
    I said all of the above because I believe you are born innocent. As life goes on, I know I was shaped by what I saw, learned and felt. Shoot for the greater good in every situation. If it felt bad, I knew it wasn't what I should be doing. Like right now, I shouldn't be judging you to be a hard a$$ christian with an attitude. I should rise above that. No one told me it was wrong. It just doesn't settle right in my spirit.

I never said that there were people that grow up without instruction one way or another. Remember, I said all the above. I do believe you come to a point in your life where you have established your own moral compass and don't need instruction for each event that comes along. Now, are you going to answer the question I put to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I stop? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, since the age of 8 I've been masterbating now I'm 17 and had a girlfriend for the last 3 years 2 of which we've been having sex and yet I still masterbate 3-4 times a week(sometimes more). My first question is, is that normal? My second question is, if it isn't how can I stop? I am worried that...

Why won't it stop? What would make it stop? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why But I can't let go of my ex. I don't care about anyone else I just want her. It has been going on now for 3 months. People say time will heal, how long of time? It is beginning to destroy my life I don't even want to get out of bed. I feel that I cannot be full again with out her?...

Nooma- rain, watch this its inspiring [ 4 Answers ]

I cry every time I watch this, it is very inspiring. Please take the time to watch it. Unfortunately, the 1st one is the only one you can watch for free :( NOOMA.com

What really is inspiring? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm investigating the true nature of inspiration.. if anyone fancies swaying my research in any particular direction.. or just wants to give a few thoughts, insights or share anything at all.. I'll include them and represent their views.. it is simply 8 questions which I will go on to analyse...

View more questions Search