Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kburnett99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 01:05 PM
    Deploying to iraq giving my sister my physical custody of my son through a poa
    I am and the Mississippi national guard and I have physical custody of my son. My ex has had a child from another relationship which was takan from her by DHS. She has joint legal custody of my child. The reason the child was taken from her was that they found traces of crystal meth and both her and the baby at the hospital when the baby was born. The military requires me to leave a guaridian for my son while I'm deployed. I'm giving my sister my general power of attorney, does that give her my custodial rights of my son?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 03:10 PM

I would suggest you hire a lawyer to go into the nuances of this type of POA and custody, just to make sure that your son is protected BY SOMEONE FULLY AND TRULY while you are away. The proper advice is worth the money you put into it by hiring an attorney to give you advice on this matter.

We have excellent advice here, but anything you need should be in writing and your assurance as you don't need to worry about this while you are over there.

Best regards and best of luck

tickle
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 04:02 PM

POA and legal guardian or custodian to the child are separate things. The POA will give them the power to sign things but it is limited. See a lawyer before you deploy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Absent mother in iraq custody of son [ 6 Answers ]

I have a weird question! I have a friend that is deploying to iraq she is going through a divorce at the time. If she files the paper work and leaves for iraq can the exhusband take her to court for the custody of the baby? I'm wondering if she leaves after the divorce if the exhusband can try and...

Custody father deploying to iraq [ 16 Answers ]

My husband is getting ready to deploy to iraq and my step children want to live full time with us. There was a PFA in order because the biological mother his the older one. The girls are 12 and 14. We have been going to court for a while. They both say they don't want to live with her. Bills...

Primary physical custody and joint legal custody [ 2 Answers ]

My son and his wife are divorced now, they have joint legal custody mother has primary physical custody because my son is in the military and he was told that she had to have primary physical custody in order to enroll the child in school. However she doesn't have my son listed as a contact person...

Sister-In-Law giving up 3 year old son [ 4 Answers ]

My sister-in-law is giving up her 3 year old son for adoption. My husband and I are trying to help in doing this since we know it would be in the best interest of the child. (She is young and struggling). The father is willing to give up his rights since he really has nothing to do with his son....

View more questions Search