Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GNL685 Posts: 170, Reputation: 9
    -

Apr 28, 2009, 11:37 AM
    What causes this squiggly line?
    I know it's blurry my son took the pic of himself.. no flash used.. What causes that little squiggly? Is it my camera? (when the picture is small it doesn't show up)
    -

Apr 28, 2009, 11:37 AM

O yea I use a sony cybershot dsc-w120
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2009, 11:41 AM

I can't view the picture, but normally, squiggly lines on photos are from a hair on the lens. Or, a piece of fuzz from something. Have you cleaned your lens lately?

Could have also been a particle in the air.

Sorry I can't help much!
    -

Apr 28, 2009, 11:44 AM

Ooh OK but its like glowy lol probably because my son was playing with it
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2009, 11:53 AM

That's happened to me. It's because of the shaking and flash sometimes... well that's what I was told.

Sarah
    -

Apr 28, 2009, 12:03 PM

OK that's what I thought but the flash wasn't on? O well stupid camera!
    dcooper Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2009, 02:36 PM

This is just a guess but I studied the photo closely and can see that the blur (from camera movement) is verticle and the same as the phantom streak. That makes me think his eye was open when the shutter first fired & there was a small reflection in the eye when the eye was open from the overhead light in the room. If you look closely you will notice the bottom image is more distinct then the top image and that is consistent with the shape of the streak since it is also longer at the bottom (although sideways a bit) Of course this all happens in usually 1/4 to 1 second, (photo is also a good advertisement for the need for a tripod!). I worked at a photolab once for 14 years and saw ALL kinds of weird light/film/lens/reflection things in photos. Your photo's strange artifact can also be from some overlooked item. It appears there was soft light to his left & a little higher than him (probably a window since it is also color corrected well). Another possibility I just though of: the red eye reduction or AF assist light on the camera (they are bright on some cameras) may have stayed on during the exposure although the flash did not fire. I looked up the specs on that particular Cybershot and it has a low-light AF-assist lamp (if it is white than theory #2 may well be what caused the streak). Hope that helps.
    -

May 1, 2009, 04:25 PM

Teehee wow you are smart

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Utilizing a clothes washer line for an icemaker water line [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! A few years ago, I moved my washer/dryer from an inside washer/dryer inset located in my kitchen into the garage. I turned this area into a pantry and left both the hot and cold water valves protruding from the wall, as well as the 220 for the electric dryer. I'm tearing out the...

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve [ 2 Answers ]

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve. How can I step the range back line down a step. Is there some kind of converter I can buy?

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

TV with Blank screen and White squiggly lines [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there I have a 7 year old TV that's generally been working fine. However recently the screen went dead and all you can see now are white/grey squiggly lines. The sound is fine. I've tried turning the power completely off then restarting the TV after several hours. The power comes on, the...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search