Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jecrooks5 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Getting rid of algae
    I have a Bacqua Pure sand filter cannot find the instruction book that came with it I found on the internet the parts list for it but no instructions. I had a severe algae problem last year do to a accident and was not able to clean the pool good. This year I would like to start the season without algae whether it be black, brown, green or red I had all three last year using the bacquacil products. My granddaughter is allergic to chlorine. This year I would like to start right by cleaning every thing from the steps to the filter including the pump. I need help.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

Apr 28, 2009, 10:58 AM

What type of pool do you have?
    Underground
    Above ground

Can you attach a photo , of your pool and filtering equipment.

From this it can be determined what to do and to prevent future algae problems.

Apr 28, 2009, 03:13 PM
    I have a 24 ft. above ground pool. We use bacquacil chemicals. My granddaughter is allergic to chlorine. We have a junk bacqua pure filter that we got from recreation warehouse I can't even get the collar wrench to take the filter apart to put clean sand in. My Son-in-law is going to try to get the collar off without it. I Have pressure washed the steps and now cleaning the pump. I just need someone to tell me the truth about how much chemical to put in. I took my water to 3 different places last year and got the answer that I needed to purchase more chemicals from them. Each one wanted something else. I hope that this year I won't break my shoulder like I did last year and can keep up with the chemicals and vacuuming thank you for responding. I really don't know what you can tell me to help. I was just desperate to talk to someone when I joined the help desk.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

Apr 28, 2009, 04:20 PM

The adding of chemicals depends on the size of pool and how many gallons of water it holds.
    Every type of chemical used will have a chart / directions.

Chlorine alergy---this might help
    Hayward Aqua Trol Above Ground Salt System AQ-TROL-RJ - Low Prices Fast Shipping

above ground salt water system.....uses salt....pool will never need chlorine again, liquid or tablets

Ehow.com
    Step1
    There may be leaves accumulated in the bottom of the pool that are acting as a food source for the algae. Vacuum the waste and see if that is the case. If it is, continue backwashing until the majority of the debris is probably out. It is a judgment call on your part since the visibility is non-existent at this point.
    Step2
    Refill the pool with fresh water until it is at the proper height, which is halfway up the faceplate of your skimmer.
    Step3
    Establish your water chemistry. For your sanitizer like chlorine to work, your alkalinity must be between 80 and 120 ppm (parts per million). Alkalinity adjustment is a step that pool owners either try to avoid or are not aware of, and instead only adjust the pH level. The problem with that is that the pH will not remain where placed without alkalinity to keep it there. If the alkalinity is too low, the pH will revert to its former level in a matter of days and the problem will still be there. Test your pool water for both pH and alkalinity. If your test kit does not have the alkalinity test, buy one that does. Adjust the alkalinity first, then retest and, if necessary, adjust the pH either up or down. It does not matter if the pool is pea soup green; this needs to happen before the next step.
    Step4
    Brush the pool walls and floor completely even if it is so murky you cannot see them. The object of this is to dislodge all of the algae from the surfaces so when it is treated, the chemicals will kill it all. Without brushing, only the top layers of algae will die. They then form a protective barrier, which shields the bottom layers and keeps them alive.
    Step5
    Triple shock your pool and add a full dose of a concentrated algaecide as recommended. Run your pump and filter, paying close attention to the pressure gauge. Dead algae float to the surface and appear as a white material that, in sufficient quantities, may cause your filter pressure to rise. Backwash and rinse the sand and continue to filter. Add more fill water as necessary. Use more shock and algaecide as needed, but never allow anyone to swim directly after an application. Follow the manufacturer's recommended waiting period before entering the water. Retest the water daily, adjusting the alkalinity and pH until this cleaning process is over. Continue to vacuum and brush the pool as well to ensure that all of the algae are gone.
    Step6
    Treat the inside of ladders and steps with concentrated amounts of chlorine shock and algaecide, brushing the insides off whenever possible. This should be done if you are not able to resolve the algae problem, which may be because it is more extensive than you can see. Algae can form a layer in your filter sand, which requires the sand to be changed. Ladders and steps are also susceptible to algae formation. Check inside all areas that come in contact with the pool water.

Apr 29, 2009, 04:44 AM

Thank you. I guess I am on the right track.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Algae in header tank [ 2 Answers ]

How do I clear black a;gae from hot water system header tank

Suspended algae [ 1 Answers ]

I changed a little over a third of the water in my goldfish tank about a 2 and a half weeks ago. Also cleaned gravel of fish waste and put in new charcoal filters and added water treatment to tank. For the last three days my clear/clean looking fish tank has become more green by the day. I've...

Stock tank algae. [ 8 Answers ]

This is a short message.Can algae bloom happen in a fresh water stock tank? Jack

Backwash sand algae [ 1 Answers ]

This year I did a fertilizer test.I took the sand from my above ground swimming pool that had been filtering the water for 4 years.The sand was dirty and green from algae.I have 16 single stacked tires with the sidewall cut out on one side.Over the years I have been putting composted horse manure...

Blue-green algae [ 1 Answers ]

Hello What kingdom is blue-green algae included in? And can you tell me 4 different places where blue-algae grows? And why are most of them found in higher intertidal zones or in shallow waters?

View more questions Search