Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Phoenix25 Posts: 203, Reputation: 5

Sep 20, 2006, 04:33 PM
    Cash an international check in australia
    Does anyone know where in Australia I can cash an international cheque on the spot?:confused:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2006, 06:58 AM
    I'd presume Australia to be similar to the US in this matter. Here, the only way I'd be able to do it is if it were at my own bank and I had enough funds already in the account to cover it if it bounced.

Have you asked your bank about it?
    Phoenix25 Posts: 203, Reputation: 5

Sep 21, 2006, 02:02 PM
    Yeah they said it would take 6 weeks to clear
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2006, 03:02 AM
    Holy cow, even at your bank!? That sounds like pretty poor service to me. If you get international checks frequently, I'd shop around for another bank that has a shorter hold period. I'd bet that the bank themselves get confirmation that it cleared long before 6 weeks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 22, 2006, 05:18 AM
    On a lot of international checks, there is so much fraud now. One of the biggest scemes going now is to either buy something and send too big of check and say it was a mistake and would they send a refund for the balance, or the biggest is where they ask you to deposit their checks for them and send them the money with you keeping a small fee for this.

But of course in both of those cases the checks will be no good, either just pure fake, or no funds.

Also not all banks belong to the same international clearning houses, which means things take longer also.

But it is best to wait for the money to clear, that way you know. If you need someone to send you money direct, they can electronicly wire you the money.

In some banking, in many of those 3 world nations, banks are independent and some don't even belong to the clearning houses, inthose cases the check still has to physcially go to that bank by mail, be accepted and receipt sent back.

And normally the 6 week is a est max, many will clear sooner.

But if you have a check like from the US or major Europe nations, checks should clear in a week or two at the most.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k cash out by an international [ 2 Answers ]

I have a foreign person, under 55, who has contributed to his 401k, is now vested with more than $5,000 in the account. He is returning to his country and wants to cash out. Does he have to pay penalties, etc?

Australia tax imposed on US IRA/RO? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Expert- A client is telling me (I'm an RIA) when he relocates to Australia, he will be taxed on a current year basis on his IRA Roll-over. He will not be taking any distributions from this roll-over, which would stay in the U.S. He has been told of this tax by someone with KPMG. Is this...

Sailing from Australia to New Zealand [ 1 Answers ]

I want to board a sailingyacht to sail from Australia to New Zealand. Where do I find sites to find a boat?

Cheapest broadband in AUstralia? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the cheapest broadband Internet plan is available in Australia? Thanks

View more questions Search