Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FSharpe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Internal repairs
    I am a bookkeeper in a repair shop the employs vehicles that make road repairs.

In this instance though, the vehicle needing the repair is our own. We just switched computer systems recently, and this new system requires us to create a full invoice for this kind of transaction. Prior to this, we had just been making sure that sales tax had been either charged to us for the parts we purchased, or a use tax accrual was done. Inventory had never been tracked in this company.

My question is this: Obviously, we are never going to be paid for this open invoice in the system, how is this to be relieved from A/R?

Obviously, you're going to credit A/R, but where is the debit offset?

Each repair unit is also going to be its own cost center from a P & L standpoint, so, would the debit to offset the transaction to the A/R be to the Car and Truck Expense for that individual cost center?

Then, on top of that, you are now overstating sales by including internal sales in the gross sales figure, albeit a small amount in most cases.

If anyone can help me with this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Fred
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2006, 09:47 PM
    Normally for a sale, the JE would be:

Dr. AR
    Cr. Sales

Dr. COGS
    Cr. Inventory

However, in this case, you do not want to do that, you just want to:
    Dr. Car and Truck Expense
    Cr. Inventory

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Repairs [ 1 Answers ]

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) My daughter has a 1993 Nissan Sentra 1.6L. On one of our very cold days, her car would not start. Prior to this , the car ran fine! She had it towed to her favorite garage where they diagnosed a timing chain problem! Yes, this model/year does in fact have a chain... I...

Auto repairs [ 2 Answers ]

My 90 Nissan Sentra's brake lites recently quit working,I Ck'ed all fuses,& replaced brake pedal stop lite switch. They still don't work.Anyone have an idea?

Landlord not making repairs [ 2 Answers ]

My son is rented a house a few months ago and has discovered a few problems which need to be fixed. According to the lease these should be the responsibility of the owner. For the last 2 months he has been giving my son the run-a round, basically not doing what he says he is going to do. One...

Ceiling repairs [ 2 Answers ]

I am doing some remodeling in an old farmhouse. The original ceiling is the lath and plaster. The previous owner then covered it by gluing ceiling tiles directly to the ceiling. My initial intent was to cover the ceiling tiles with a new layer of "blue board" and have it replastered. However my...

Auto repairs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda Accord 2.2L. My problem is that the radiator cooling fan cycles on and off numerous times sometimes 5 or 10 minutes after the car has been shut off. It will only remain on for a few seconds at a time. I have replaced the coolant temperatore sensor for the ECU: also the...

View more questions Search