Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sammie121771 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2009, 07:54 PM
    Divorce and moving the children away.
    My daughter, who is divorced with three children will be marrying a military man soon. What will she need to do if the military takes them out of state or even out of the country? Will she have to fight her exhusband on this issue. How does this work? They were divorced in the state of Georgia.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2009, 06:47 AM

If the father has a visitation order, yes, she will have to fight to take her children away from their father.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 08:38 AM

Was there anything written in their divorce agreement about moving and access to the children?
    Enigma88 Posts: 13, Reputation: -1

Apr 28, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Chances are if she asks the father to move them and he agrees she needs to get a written agreement signed and noterized and if he doesn't agree then she will have to take it to court and there is a 60% chance the judge will deny her moving the kids ecspecially if he has visitation rights. Now as far as moving out of the country I believe the same works for that to because if she leaves without any of that then in that case it becomes kidnapping, its stupid but true it happened to a girl I knew in the military.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2009, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma88 View Post
    Chances are if she asks the father to move them and he agrees she needs to get a written agreement signed and noterized and if he doesn't agree then she will have to take it to court and there is a 60% chance the judge will deny her moving the kids ecspecially if he has visitation rights. Now as far as moving out of the country I believe the same works for that to because if she leaves without any of that then in that case it becomes kidnapping, its stupid but true it happened to a girl I knew in the military.
    Please tell us where you find the 60% chance statistic?

If there is an existing visitation order in place that the NCP is exercising, then a judge will not give permission to move the kids unless the NCP agrees. Also an NCP cannot modify a court order without court approval. So even an signed and notarized document isn't enough.

Again, please make sure of the accuracy of your responses.
    susangpyp Posts: 258, Reputation: 73

May 5, 2009, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Please tell us where you find the 60% chance statistic?

If there is an existing visitation order in place that the NCP is exercising, then a judge will not give permission to move the kids unless the NCP agrees. Also an NCP cannot modify a court order without court approval. So even an signed and notarized document isn't enough.

Again, please make sure of the accuracy of your responses.
    I agree that there is no such thing as "60 percent."

The way almost all judges work is: if you are planning to move out of state the NCP can stop it if it interferes with visitation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2009, 08:12 PM

In Georgia, if the father has and is using his visiting rights and does not want the children to move since he can not see them, it is simple she can't move or she will have to give him the kids and she moves without them

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving with my children to a different state after a divorce [ 2 Answers ]

My divorce was finalized approx. a year ago and I have (2) children ages 6 and 10, and now my new husband has a job opportunity in a different state over 500 miles away. There are no restriction in my divorce decree to suggest that I am unable to move our family but does my ex-husband have the...

Married in Florida moving to N.C with children (divorce) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi We have not filed for any legal documents yet (divorce). Can I get into trouble for moving myself and my kids out of state to separate fro mtheir father? We are moving from Florida to N.C. The kids were born before the marriage but they are his kids. Can he force me to return legally with the...

Moving Out of State with Children [ 1 Answers ]

I currently live in North Carolina and am divorced. We have one child together. Can I move out of state with my child without my ex's permission?

Moving with children [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently divorced and wanting to move to another city with my children. There father has not been actively involved and lived 2 hours from us at this time. I am looking to move to another city that is 20 minutes from where I currently living and have lived with the children since the...

View more questions Search