Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    limygal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2009, 06:32 PM
    Can someone file for back child support after the child reaches 18 in California?
    My brother never paid child support and my sister in law had to raise the son by herself without his financial help. In the original divorce papers it says he has to pay child support but never did. Now he is 22 and really needs help for college. Can my sister in law or my nephew sue my brother for back child support? My brother now owns and runs a successful real estate business and has done so for years so has the funds.

Thanks

:confused:
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

Apr 27, 2009, 06:42 PM

If I remember correctly he/she could have took him to court at 18 and sued him. 18 is the cut off limit unless he/she is a college student and then the age is 21. I will look around for more info for you...
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazi View Post
    If I remember correctly he/she could have took him to court at 18 and sued him. 18 is the cut off limit unless he/she is a college student and then the age is 21. I will look around for more info for ya....
    There's no college-level support in California. Child support ends at 18 but continues as long as the 18-year-old is a full time high school student and ends when the child graduates or ceases being a full time high school student. In all cases it forever ends at 19.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by limygal View Post
    My brother never paid child support and my sister in law had to raise the son by herself without his financial help. In the original divorce papers it says he has to pay child support but never did. Now he is 22 and really needs help for college. Can my sister in law or my nephew sue my brother for back child support? My brother now owns and runs a successful real estate business and has done so for years so has the funds.

Thanks

:confused:
    Your sister-in-law can collect the back child support that was ordered but not paid with interest at the legal rate of 10%. Have her open a case with her local Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) and they will collect it for her for free.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

Apr 27, 2009, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    Your sister-in-law can collect the back child support that was ordered but not paid with interest at the legal rate of 10%. Have her open a case with her local Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) and they will collect it for her for free.
    God your quick!!

Lmao! +1 rep.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2009, 07:21 PM

The key here is that the divorce decree ordered child support. Its very difficult to get support for a time prior to when you file for support. But if the support was ordered and never paid then she has every right to try and collect the arrearage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I File for Child Abandonment or Continue to Wait for my Child Support Hearing? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old child out of wedlock and I broke up with his father since September 2008. He was abusive and I had him arrested. After he got out of jail, I allowed him to still see our child. We agreed that he would pay the child support without the courts being involved. Well of course that...

Do I need to file the child custody for getting my child support? [ 1 Answers ]

I've been lived with my EX for 4 yrs. We have a 6-year-old son. We had broken 3 years ago. But we are still living together, because we bought a house together. And we are taking care of my child together also . Now I want he give me a full child custody, he denied it. And his mother, my child...

Can I file for back child support after 18? [ 7 Answers ]

Can I file for back child support after my child reaches the age of 18? He will be 18 in May. We are adopted parents and his father has not paid child support for 12 years. I never filed for child support but now I could really use the help.

View more questions Search