Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bsblstud Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 05:23 PM

A redo of the previous message
    Well back to square one, it runs but still smokes. So how do I drain the oil breather hose that you had previously talked about?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 06:24 PM

Did you actually get a chance to smell the old oil?

As far as I know, the oil breathers are not repairable.

But, you may try soaking it in a solvent such as Superclean. Pep Boys and Wallmart.

There are probably a few screws that hold it to the engine.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 06:28 PM
    We did chat a bit about compression testers. Here are some examples of one. Compression Tester : 2CarPros Store, Diagnostic Tools and More...

They consist of a stepped spark plug male fitting and "O" ring seals. They are also equipped with a release button.
    Think of it check valve, vent valve and a pressure gauge.

Any auto store should have one.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 06:35 PM

Joing well here I see..

I think its at this point

If you want to save a little money and have this store near you check it out.

Harbor Freight Tools

Apr 29, 2009, 07:18 PM

So I buy this compression tester and do what with it. Where does it connect to?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 07:22 PM

I think 21 and KISS are off tonight. I am not being a smart guy but are you sure you want to try this repair if you aren't sure how to do a compression check? The tester screws into the spark plug hole if its threaded, if no threads then you hold the rubber fitting tight into the spark plug hole and then crank the engine.

Apr 29, 2009, 07:24 PM
    The old oil may have had a hint of gas, but I have a major head cold right now.

Apr 29, 2009, 07:26 PM
    That is where I was thinking but wanted to make sure, just in case I purchased this and could not get in touch with anyone.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 07:26 PM

Get a good nights sleep and KISS will be back tomorrow and likely 21 too. We are all here everyday unless I actual get a call back to work.
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    I think 21 and KISS are off tonight. I am not being a smart guy but are you sure you want to try this repair if you aren't sure how to do a compression check? The tester screws into the spark plug hole if its threaded, if no threads then you hold the rubber fitting tight into the spark plug hole and then crank the engine.

So I buy this compression tester and do what with it. Where does it connect to?

The old oil may have had a hint of gas, but I have a major head cold right now.

Get a good nights sleep and KISS will be back tomorrow and likely 21 too. We are all here everyday unless I actual get a call back to work.
    See you all tomorrow. Don't want to miss this one for sure, can't wait to see where the compression checker goes into the compression area. Happy night to all...

bsblstud. Take care of that cold so instead of smelling the rosess need to smell the oil...
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 09:13 PM

Instructions are usually with the tool.

1. remove all plugs
    2. insert gauge into a spark plug hole
    3. Crank a few times. Because of the check valve, the pressure gets larger at every cycle, but it won't increase indefinitely.
    4. Note reading
    5. vent compression tester (sometimes you may have to repeat test)
    6. remove it

Do the other cylinder.

Compare readings.

If one cylinder is low. Add oil in spark plug hole. Repeat test.
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 09:23 PM

Side note: if there is a bad valve seat the test may be false positive for low pressure.

If one cylinder is a lot lower then the other look at the plug you took out of that cylinder and see if it looks oily and wet. Bingo...

I posted a spark plug visual chart here. A plug can tell you a lot of how the combustion chamber is firing and ring ware.

Spark Plugs

No# 1 and 2 on the chart is all about rings and oil..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snowblower Muffler Smelly White Smoke? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Ariens 4 cycle Tecumsuh engine snowblower. I started it up but I did not realize The gasoline valve was off. The snowblower turned off in two seconds and smelly white smoke came out of muffler. I opened the gasoline valve and it works fine what caused this? Can there be possible damage...

1999 Toyota Duet Smoke excessive smoke emission [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have problem with too much emission of smoke. Even more excessive smoke in the morning. Can't even see anyone around the vehicle!! Took it to toyota for diagnostics they discovered valve seal leaked and oil dropping on top of number 1 piston. Have changed the valve seals but still same...

Generator Muffler [ 1 Answers ]

Does it affect the performance of a portable generator to add a larger muffler to it? I have a Baldor PC40H Generator (4000 Watts) It’s powered by a 8hp (GX240) Honda OHV motor. I would like to replace the original muffler with a larger quieter muffler! Honda uses a flange style connection...

Oil in muffler [ 2 Answers ]

Performed a tune up on lawn tractor. Started it up, ran for 3 seconds and stopped. It looks as oil is coming from muffler area. Did I blow a head gasket, I don't know. Can you can me why oil is coming from the muffler. Ed

Gas from muffler [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 HP Tecumseh on a Craftsmen 30" rear engine mower. The carb was recently rebuilt along with a tune up at a respectable mower shop. I used the mower once since that work-- ran great. Today it didn't start on first or second crank as normal. I looked back and there was gas on the...

View more questions Search