Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miranda Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Sep 20, 2006, 01:28 PM
    Probation
    My husband is on probation for a misdemeanor violation (possession of marijuana). He has paid all fines, but has 24 hours of comminuty service to do. He has not done the community service yet because the county tells him when and where he can do community service. They have conveniently chosen a few work days for him to do his community service. Anyway, he recently got a new job. This new job requires him to travel. It is my understanding that he is not supposed to leave the county. I think that if he explained to his PO that he needs to leave the county/state for work, that she should be OK with it. Any thoughts? Also, if he left the state, and she found out, what would happen? Would he have to do jail time? If he wasn't making so much money at this job, he wouldn't even be messing with it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 01:52 PM
    Hello Miranda:

Even if he has to take a few days off, he needs to complete his community service. When he was placed on probation by the court, they gave him his conditions of probation. If he can travel, or if he can't, it will specifically say in that document. I'm sure you are correct, however. He must have permission to leave the county. Before he actually leaves the county (or before he TELLS them he's going to [or did] leave), he needs to seek permission from his PO. He should get it.

IF he leaves and she finds out about it, what can she do?? She can screw him over significantly. Jail time?? Of course! Do I think she would? I think she would love nothing more. What? You think a lady probation officer is a nice person??

If he's making so much at this new job, you better believe you shouldn't be messing with it. Unless, of course, you like the visiting room.

excon
    Miranda Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Sep 20, 2006, 01:58 PM
    excon: So if he asks hi PO for permission to leave the county or state to work, he should be able to?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2006, 03:16 PM
    To rephase what excon said and agreeing with him.

1. he needs to take off work and get community service over with, not try and make it fit his schedulre, this will not go away and if he says no too many times they will report him to the probation officer.

Next he should have never agreed to take a new job without first talking to the probation officer and seeing if he can travel out of the area.

Some officers will not care, others, esp if he took the job first without asking, will be a horses rear about it. If they say no he can't do that travel, where will he be at. If he does travel, and the probation officer can just call the place of work and ask, they will have him locked up and he will serve the remainder of the probation time in jail.

Also he would have had to notify the probation officer that he changed jobs also.

So he needs to explain the new job and get permission to do that traveling, if they say no, he just an't do it, and I hope he can go back to the old job.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2006, 11:57 AM
    He should inform his PO of the situation. Given that the job is legitimate and pays substantially more than he had been earning I'm sure some arrangement can be worked out. Perhaps if he informed the PO every time he has to travel and provides an itinerary then everything should be OK. Arrangements can always be made for him to do the community service at times when he doesn't have to be out of town.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Probation Law [ 11 Answers ]

My husband has gotten the probation officer from hell and I should know because even I have been threatened by this woman and I am the supposed victim. He and I both want him to just fulfill the terms of his probation and get on with our lives but within ethical reason. My husband works between...

On probation [ 7 Answers ]

OK I've been placed on probation as of February 1st,2006 until Feb 1st,2009.I'm scheduled for a personal meeting with my student coordinator to set up classes and what not.the problem is it's out of state,I haven't spoken with anyone including my probation officer since January 18th.should I try to...

Probation [ 7 Answers ]

I was placed on probation for a year for grand theft under 3,000 in fees. Time is up oct. 15-06 I have not been able to pay any money but I have completed all community hrs. I was 2 months pregnant at the time and did not know it I had my child 6-13-06 he passed on 6-30-06 though I have not had...

Probation [ 3 Answers ]

I got a 5 yr sentence in harris county, Texas. I have done almost 3 yrs. What are the possibilites of getting off? I was charged with arson. Please give me some advise.

Probation and a job [ 2 Answers ]

An individual is hired at a job while in a work release center and is placed on probation with the requirement to have a job. If this person is fired from their job, must the employer contact anyone legally? I would greatly appreciate any help that can be offered on this. Thanks!

View more questions Search