Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Toddler Poop
    Green poop :eek:

Anybody have this experience with their child. The colour of poop that comes out of them can be puzzling.

Joe
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 02:00 PM

Could be from green veggies or even dye in cereal.When my son was little he had those fruity pebbles and they came out as fruity pebbles,all different colors,red,green blue.I was terrified until I know what it was!
    Iron has a tendency to make poop green.
    Someday he is going to get you back for telling the net he had green poop :)
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2009, 02:08 PM

So should I worry about his iron being too high? He has been sick off and on for one reason or another. It is a dark green.

Okay thanks for your answer..

Joe
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2009, 05:33 PM

He seems not himself today. Think he has a case of bad stomach gas as well. Guess it could be combination of foods and just the medicine he was on. Just want him to be himself...

Thank you again for your help.

Joe
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 06:18 PM

Like Art said the first reasons for green poop are the foods he ate.

I know you mentioned that little buddy was sick and he was eating Popsicles, maybe even Jell-O, these things can also change the color of poop.

We're used to seeing brown poop, but in actuality the first part of the small intestine has green poop and as the stool is being digested and passed through the large intestine it is turned into a darker brown color. So sometimes if the poop is still green, it could mean that it went through the large intestine too fast.

So no worries little buddy should be okay. If anything make an appointment with your doctor for a quick check up to see if he's recuperating well from being sick ;)

Sarah
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2009, 06:23 PM

Thank you so much LS. I appreciate you chiming in. We are going to try to make an appointment to see the family doctor. To get him checked over.

Joe
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

Apr 27, 2009, 06:24 PM

He could be lactose intolerant. Just a guess. A call to the doctor would be a much better diagnosis than me. :)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 04:04 PM

Lactose intolerant would not cause green poop. My son was lactose intolerant and never had a green poop when he was little. It was mostly runny due to the lactose intolerance.

Apr 28, 2009, 04:08 PM

I know a few kids who did from lactose intolerant. That may have different affects on people but this was the reason they had green poop.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 05:30 PM
    Joe, the color of poop is nothing to worry about. The different colors is caused by whatever foods, fluids, medications that are ingested.

What to worry about would be the texture, consistency and # of stools per day.

Apr 28, 2009, 05:31 PM

If you give your kid that Play-Doh Cookie doh stuff even if you bake it into cookies, the poop will be colored. Purple and blue poop is the stuff. :)
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

May 5, 2009, 02:22 AM

He could have that virus going around too. Causes really smelly poop and gas, green color, bad smelly burps. It was horride. It wasn't called RSV cause that's the respiratory one, but something similar to that. I just can't remember what it was called. My 2yo had it this year too. We went through a CASE of diapers in a week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toddler and Tuna [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I introduced a new food today. Was not sure if an allergy is likely or not. Tuna is okay in moderation and wanted to see how my boy would do. He actually ate it for the first time without anything added to it and loved it. Now say by any chance there is any kind of allergy in...

Why can't I get caps for my toddler in UK? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 26mth old daughter with ECC - early childhood cavities. Her four upper teeth are brown and worn down and her two upper molars are riddled with cavities. They weren't when I first took her to the dentist with brown on her front two teeth. That dentist did nothing but berate me for...

Toddler bad behaviour! [ 5 Answers ]

I have just had a second baby in the last 2 months and I was fully expecting my 2.5 year old girl to play up a bit but she is proving very difficult. Before he arrived she was very good but now I am finding it hard to deal with her. I know she is feeling a bit jealous and insecure but I am trying...

My toddler prefers everyone else to me [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old daughter that 85% of the time would rather have attention from someone other than me, her own mother. Sometimes she cuddles to me, but not often. I know she is cuddly with family members due to not seeing them a lot, but she even hugs on my girlfriend (who she see's...

Dentistry on toddler [ 2 Answers ]

I just found two tiny black dots on my 19 month old son. They are right between his teeth.

View more questions Search