Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mulattomama Posts: 36, Reputation: 7

Apr 27, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Termite swarmers
    When we bought our home, we got the termite inspection from the seller and it said that there was evidence of history of termites in one portion of our home. The company they used for the inspection gave a 2 yr warranty. The following Spring we saw what we thought were termite swarmers near a wall in the basement and even coming upstairs through the heat ducts. Most of the ones we saw were already dead. We called the termite company that we had the warranty with and they said that the swarmers were harmless, didn't mean we had termites currently at all, and that they would come and treat our property. They have done this each Spring now.

So now our warranty is over and they are asking for $350 for another 2 yr warranty including treatments. I spoke to another pest control company and they said that pricing is good, but seemed to think it was very odd that we still get the swarmers in our home each year in the Springtime.

Wondering if this is normal? I don't want to pay this company $350 - good deal or not - if they're not doing what they should be and we should have the swarmers each year at all.

HELP!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 04:49 PM
    They said that swarmers in the basement did not mean you have an active infestation?

What part of the world do you live in? On the North American continent that statement should translate as "Walk away, NOW!!" I'm not familiar with termites in other parts of the globe.

In the US, $350.00 sounds very low for a basement building with an active infestation.

Take bids, including one from one of the "big boys"(Orkin, Terminix, Ecolab) for reference, and make sure to compare apples to apples.
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 27, 2009, 08:24 PM
    I worked for a termite/exterminating company for many years and although I was the Exec assistant and not out in the field I did work along side the Owner of the company to be very much involved so with that said just a little hint... Renewals do not cover total re-treatment of the home it is a spot treatment only! Out here in Arizona where termites are very common it ranges from about $150 per year to about $200 for the renewals, so you fall within that range. Ask them what chemical they are using that also makes a difference especially depending on the type of termite. Re-accurance out here, anyway is very common so it's not unusual to have to call a company out a number of times in a matter of 6 months for retreatment. Not sure if that helped and I am definitely not a pro but I thought I'd just throw a little in to help your thought process. Good luck
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Apr 29, 2009, 01:08 AM
    Let me synthesize and elaborate on Catsmine and MsCanFix's response.

There are three main types of termites feasting on homes in the United States - drywood termites, dampwood termites, and subterannean termites. An inspector should be able to tell you which species you have, ideally, but not always, by scientific name.

Their lifestyles differ in that subterannean and dampwood termites nest in the ground or in moist wood. Foragers bring food back to the nest and queen who live underground. If you can break the soil to house contact by creating a chemical or sand barrier, then you can treat your house at a much cheaper cost, than the whole house treatment outlined below. Whole house fumigations are not used to control subterannean and dampwood termites. These types of termites are treated by barrier placement of insecticides like Termidor or baiting programs with Sentricon. The basement location of your termites might indicate subteranneans...

Drywood termites can nest in your house and do not need soil contact to reproduce. There are bascially two methods to treat a home for drywood termites - whole house fumigation and spot treatments. Because termites live in difficult to inspect areas, a whole house fumigation, when properly done, is the only complete way to guarantee that termites have been eradicated. A whole house fumigation involves covering the entire house and injecting Vikane gas into the living space of the house, usually over a period of 2 days. You are required to remove all your opened food items, and vacate your home for that time. As you can imagine this is an expensive, much more than $350, and bothersome operation. Some people object to the use of the gas. Heat can also be used to conduct a whole house fumigation.

A spot treatment works only where they place the chemical, heat, microwave, electro-gun, or liquid nitrogen freeze treatment, and sometimes it doesn't work that well. It is highly dependent on finding the infestation, and treating it properly. If you have a small infestation then spot treatments are legitimate.

I think it is time to request a new inspection from a different company or two. Do not give them any clue about the previous inspection. Let them come to their own conclusion on price, location of infestation, method, and species ID. If the inspector does not know what he/she is talking about or disses you in any way, don't hire that company.

In my state of California, there are two types of companies - companies that have the capability to conduct whole house fumigations, and are either main contractors or sub contractors; or companies that mainly do general pest control, can inspect for termites, but contract the fumigation to a subcontractor. I am not sure how this might affect the price, but it probably has some effect.

Termite Management Guidelines--UC IPM

Drywood Termite Management Guidelines--UC IPM
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 02:29 AM
    Checking your other posts, mulattomama, it looks like your from near the President's hometown. There are very few drywood termite infestations around the lakes, and mostly we hear about subterraneans. Most reputable companies do not charge for inspections, and I really think you should have another one (or three). If they try to pressure you into signing up, remember that you're just at the taking bids stage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Termite mound [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a way of getting rid of a termite mound without calling pest controllers to do the job?

Drywood termite treatment [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 80 year old detached garage located in s. fla. That I am converting into an apt. It is wood frame stucco. Like nearly every older structure I have worked on in the last 30 years there are dry wood termites. I have seen a few where the stucco and wire lath are the only thing supporting a...

Level 2 termite damage [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know what "Level 2" termite damage is? I am buying a house and the seller said that after the termite inspection, he'd be liable for Level 1 damage, but I'd be liable for Level 2 or higher. Sounds like it might be expensive.

Termite Question [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have termites in a piece of wood in my garage. I see the mud tube coming up from the edge of the foundation and entering into a stud. The wood seems solid and I'm thinking of removing and replacing it, but what about the ones I don't get when I cut it out? Anyone had any experience with these...

View more questions Search