Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 20, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Helmets, yes or no?
    I have been a competitive skiier when I was younger and now I'm a dad teaching my daughter.

I see all the little ones wearing helmets. I never wore a helmet and I have seen injuries from toes to necks. I can't remember ever seeing a head injury.

My daughter has been skiing since 3 and now she is 6. She is very good for her age but I get these looks and comments from other parents because she has no helmet.

Is there just too many helmet making companies trying to capitalizing on scare tequniques or should I break down and pick one up for her? As for a helmet for myself, don't even go there. I'll wait until my life insurance demands it before you'll outfit me in one of those!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 20, 2006, 11:29 AM
    A child's skull is still pretty soft. And the brain still growing. So its more prone to concussion. Kids are also more fearless and more liable to take risks. I was a recreational skier for over 20 years, but I started in my late teens. The worse that happened to me, was a jammed thumb. But I wouldn't put a pre-adolescent on the slopes without a helmet.

Sep 20, 2006, 12:38 PM
    The problem is that my daughter also figure skates. They recommend at her level NOT to wear a helmet.

Personally, I would rather take a tumble on the slopes than on the ice.

It just doesn't make sense. Competetive figure skating- no helmet. Non-competitive downhill skiing- helmet.

The reason they don't want her to wear a helmet in figure skating is because it affects her balance. I consider balance at skiing (especially at my level) very important. So I'm thinking the helmet may actually cause accidents!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 20, 2006, 12:43 PM
    You do things in figure skating that you just don't do in skiing even snowboarding. Balance is a lot more crucial in skating. You also don't go quite as fast or have trees to hit on a skating rink.

Sep 20, 2006, 01:02 PM
    You haven't skated on our lake (ha, ha)!

I guess it's just something to consider. I personally have had more 'life flashing before my eyes' incidents in the 3 years skating with my daughter than I've ever had skiing.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 01:37 PM
    Didn't Sonny Bono die of head injuries in a skiing accident?

Sep 20, 2006, 02:19 PM
    Yes, but he was 60+. I should be so lucky to go out skiing when I'm that old!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 20, 2006, 02:23 PM
    I can see the point about balance and skating, but helmets should be worn for all "sports" that have possibilities of falls.

I have seen too many people, young and old alike, with head injuries. Permanent and temporary, but it is really a sad life to live.

Sep 20, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Actually, I am living proof; having been in a coma for 2 months with 10 years of rehab. And really, it wasn't sad just challenging.

That doesn't mean I wear a helmet in a car (although I tend to wear a seatbelt more often now).
    orangeknight Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bhayne
    I have been a competitive skiier when I was younger and now I'm a dad teaching my daughter.

I see all the little ones wearing helmets. I never wore a helmet and I have seen injuries from toes to necks. I can't remember ever seeing a head injury.

My daughter has been skiing since 3 and now she is 6. She is very good for her age but I get these looks and comments from other parents because she has no helmet.

Is there just too many helmet making companies trying to capitalizing on scare tequniques or should I break down and pick one up for her? As for a helmet for myself, don't even go there. I'll wait until my life insurance demands it before you'll outfit me in one of those!!
    I have been selling sporting goods for almost 20 years- there are a lot of things that come along to just pad the manufacturers pockets, but in my opinion, ski helmets are not one of those things. I would definitely recommend a helmet. Especially at her age, the muscle and coordination development is not yet complete, and it doesn't take much to lose control and head for a tree. Also, unlike figure skating, there is a hill, and speed can be built with little effort on the participants part. As far as a helmet for you, it would be an excellent example for her- yes Sonny was older, but he was an accomplished skier. I have seen some pretty nasty injuries to friends of mine that were excellent skiers.
    happylady123 Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Aug 2, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Well I teach figure skating, and they require the kids under 5 to wear a helmet in group classes. It's optional in other cases. For beginners I think it's good, but your daughter sounds like she knows what she's doing when skiing. I don't think a helmet at this point is necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search