Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gtech619 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Ex boyfriend
    My wife keeps contact with an Ex high school sweetheart. They broke up over something really dumb, however she only speeks highly of him.

He calls every once and a while, keeping up with her life. He just recently starting dating a girl, the first since my wife.

My wife wants to use this opportunity to meet his new girlfriend.

I don't like it. I feel somewhat insecure, but I don't feel that they had closure and she will not listen to me when I ask her not to do it. Should I let her do what she wants? Or do I have a reason for her not to do this.
    Here_To_Help- Jon Posts: 97, Reputation: 26

Sep 20, 2006, 02:53 PM
    How long have you been married. How long ago was her relationship with this guy? I would ask her "why" she wants to meet this girlfriend. Id also ask if you can come along for the meeting. It won't be fun for you... but you will see things first hand.
    Presleygall85 Posts: 50, Reputation: 6

Sep 20, 2006, 02:57 PM
    I agree with Jon, We need a little more detail but definitely ask if you can tag along.. that way you will see everything and how they talk to each other. It will stop your suspition (sp). :) Good luck
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2006, 04:41 PM
    It seems a little strange to me and I wouldn't be overly fussed about it either. Even the constant contact would worry me a little, maybe. But I suppose it is nice if she can be friends with an ex (I suppose).

But you should definitely suggest that you go along too! Why can't the four of you go for dinner or coffee?

You're her husband so you have every right to go along with her in my opinion!
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Sep 20, 2006, 05:01 PM
    If her intent was to remain friends because she thought he was such a good person, than why not make him your friend too? Why not encourage your friendship with him? It sounds like she doesn't see him much but speaks to him from time to time (that you know of), why wouldn't you be invited to come along, how could it hurt?

I would tell her that if my feelings were less important than her trivial desire to be nosey about his new girlfriend, than she must not be as committed to you and your marriage as you thought. She is purposefully excluding you and that doesn't ring right. Your insecurity has nothing to do with it, what she's doing is questionable. Have you spoken to her about it? You said "she will not listen to me when I ask her not to do it", exactly what did you say to her and what was her response?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 20, 2006, 05:02 PM
    Had to spread the love Skell, I agree it is a little strange, but I am great friends with my hubbys first ex girlfirend in high school. We are like best buddies. Never met in person, but talk over the phone and e-mail, so it is all possible with an open mind.

Sep 20, 2006, 05:10 PM
    Janine, it is very possible, and the reason it works well is because she has also become your good friend, not just his. Someone I dated for a while became my best friend. However, when I met my husband, I told him about him and encouraged that friendship and it indeed blossomed. They are like brothers now. He is an uncle to my children and when he finally meets Mrs. Right, I will be with him to pick out the ring and be his best Wo-Man in the wedding. If she were to include him in everything, he would feel better about it I'm sure.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 06:32 PM
    You have every reason ; she's married to you. Ex-boyfriends are off limits, period. How would she like it if the situation were reversed ; an old girlfriend calling you "every once in a while" and you going out to meet her now boyfriend? I bet she wouldn't like it very much at all! Whether they had "closure" or not is no longer anyone's problem, so sure as hell don't let it affect you or your marriage.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2006, 06:37 PM
    Mom is right.
    In both these instances both paeople in the marriage are friends with the ex. Not just one. That is unhealthy and reason for concern I would feel!
    gtech619 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 08:27 AM
    Thank all of you for your responses. Let me give you more information.

She was with a Guy 5 years ago. They were together for 2 years, she had one abortion with him, and they were engaged. She left him because he did not tell his parents that they were engaged. After the break up they remained friends.

When we got married she talked to him on the phone once a month or longer. I did not let the bug me too much.

But her ex did not date a single person until this point 5 years later. I think he is still in love with my wife.

Now that he has a girlfriend, she is quite intent on making sure that she is right for him.

I never keep in contact with me Ex's because once you are intamate with someone your relationship can never be the same.

What do you think?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 22, 2006, 06:14 AM
    All my friends became our friends when I got married. My female friends and my wife are very good friends to this day. If I can't hang with her friends then I would be pissed and somebody better tell me why not.

Sep 22, 2006, 12:32 PM
    See, in my opinion, when you get married, all of that single behavior is supposed to be in your past. I don't get couples who don't share a checking account because in my opinion, if you have to have a his and hers account, then something just isn't right. Same thing goes with the friends. While you date, you get familiar with each other's friends, go out, talk, get to know 'em. When you're married, they become friends of the family. I'm not saying you go to dinner with your wife's female friends without her just because they're your friends too, I mean, common sense and all. I just get the feeling that he's right, they're not finished and she really doesn't show enough concern about his feelings. She doesn't need to be so involved with his love life, she needs to be worrying about her own.
    Xaniz Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 09:48 AM
    You that's messed up he is way out of bounds

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend doesn't want sex as much as me. [ 20 Answers ]

This is kind of embarrassing to post, but my boyfriend doesn't want sex as much as I do. It's great when we do it, but it's a problem just getting him IN the mood. I mean, we normally have sex once every one to two days, but that's not really enough for me, and if I want to go again immediately...

Me boyfriend never wants to have sex! [ 23 Answers ]

We have been together for about 1 year and a half almost. Around the 10th month mark... he seemed to have lost the drive, and I have a high sex drive. I wouldn't mind it every day. But it slowly stopped. Tomorrow will be a month since we've had sex. I have tried numerous times to talk to him about...

Do I need a new boyfriend? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay me and my boyfriend (bobby) have been together for 7 months and we fight like everyday about something.. Since them 7 months we broke up (an actually real break up) for 2 days.. N I started dating this tom guy and we kissed.. And then me and bobby got back together and I told bobby about...

The ex boyfriend. Help. [ 6 Answers ]

I hate to say it-but I am obsessed. And I need help. I dated this guy. We had an extraordinary relationship. He was a very different kind of guy that I have ever dated. You know, the usual SEX SEX SEX boyfriend. That was just: not him. I found myself wanting it more then he did! That's...

My Boyfriend [ 9 Answers ]

:p Ok my boyfriend and I have been going out for almost two years. I love his family and his family loves me. Everything is good except he never wants to talk on the phone anymore and he never wants to do anything :mad: . Sometimes he treats my like crap like when I call him he answers the phone...

View more questions Search