Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TEXAS2288 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2006, 09:28 AM
    If parents in Texas die without a will
    I live in Texas and have one brother and one sister left living. I have one brother that has passed away. My questions is if my parents die without a will, will my brother children,the one that passed away,be entittled to anything?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 10:44 AM
    I'm sorry, but the best answer I can find is "maybe" (here)

The bottom line is that the court will decide.

I strongly suggest you urge your parents to make a will and file it with Probate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Normally no,

If there is no will, the living children would normally be considered the heirs. The grandchildren can challenge it in probate court for a share.

But if the estate is smaller and there is no house, it often does not even go though probate.

So they need a will, it will make it a lot easier. I am often saddened how greedy people get when ohers die and they fight over there estate.
    TEXAS2288 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 07:45 AM
    We do not want to fight over anything,but a couple of my brothers children have drug problems and they are telling there friends that they will get my parents property and money when they die. My parents really don't have any money but they do have a house. So we are just worried about that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 21, 2006, 08:58 AM
    So, get your parents to make a will. OI better yet, have them put you and your siblings on the deed.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2006, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    So, get your parents to make a will. OI better yet, have them put you and your siblings on the deed.
    I disagree with you Scott.

Not about the parents making a will, that they SHOULD do.

But, they should NOT put the children on the deed.

Why not?

Reason 1:
    Let's say one of the children gets into a financial mess. Then, all of a sudden, a lien can be placed on the house.

Let's say in 5 years the parents decided they want to sell the house to move into a condo. Now, they can't since there is a lien on the property.

Reason 2:
    How much did your parents pay for this house when the bought it? Let's say $200,000.

When you sell a house, you must tax on the difference between the selling price and the purchase price.

Let's say the house is worth $500,000 today. If they were to sell it today, they would pay tax on $300,000 (500-200).

However, if your names are added on, your cost based will remain at $200,000.

However, if you receive the house via a will when they die, your cost base will be bumped up to current market value.

So, if they were to die today, your cost base would be $500,000. If you sold it then at $500,000, you would not pay anything in taxes.

Why should you do it?
    If you know 1 sibling will challenge the will and the legal costs will be far higher then its worth, and all have good credit, then go for it. But it is a risk. If one sibling gets into financial trouble, then ALL siblings and parents suffer for it.

But, your parents should NOT put you all on the deed.

Instead, have them make out a will ASAP.

And what they need to do is to tell the lawyer about what the grandchildren want to do (sue when the die) and he can structure the will in such a way to make it very hard for them to ever see a penny.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 22, 2006, 06:29 AM
    While CF makes some valid points, there are ways to add the siblings to the deed without incurring some of the consequences he cites. The advantage is that it avoids probate.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2006, 12:00 PM
    Good points Scott,

But, I believe in the US now, federally, it is around 1.5 million exempt from estate taxes?

And, as they said, this is the parents only real asset…..

But what if the parents then turn around in 5 years want to disown one of the siblings? If they are on the deed, they can't be taken off.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Do your parents have a will? You should find out. If they do, who is the executor? You should know that as well. If not, talk with an estate-planning attorney from your state to find out exactly what happens when one dies intestate (sp?). Better yet, after talking with this attorney, put your parents in contact with him/her so that they can have a will drawn up. It's not an overly expensive or time-consuming process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questions from Texas [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Texas and have credit card collector hounding me. Due to personal situation I wasn't able to make my minimum payment (paid what I could) for several months. Now it seems I owe as much on interest, late charges, etc. as I did the original amount about $15,000. Can't borrow, no...

Garnishment in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me for a very large amount on an unsecured credit card. Can my checking account be frozen? Someone told me that the company can freeze my checking account. Is that true? Xhalfpintx

F1 in Oklahoma-OPT in Texas-H1B in Texas [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all!!!:) First at all, this is a great forum! I've been reading a lot of posts, and they are very very useful. Now I got a question for the tax experts and non-experts too:p!! This is my case: I was studying and working as a Teacher Assistant in Oklahoma from 08.26.02 to 03.06.05....

Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Want to know what the song is called from the Texas video that starred Alan Rickman . Texas band with Sharlene Spiterri as lead.

View more questions Search