Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duncan25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 04:19 PM
    Terminate my parental rights.
    I have two children ages 8 and 5 there grandmother has custody of them right now.. I have not seen them in about four years they live in Utah and I live in Colorado.. I want to sign my rights ovwer to the grandma,but no one will tell me how to do so or anything about it.. Please help me if you can..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2009, 04:45 PM

I moved this to the family law forum where this question has been answered hundreds of times.

The only way this is going to happen is if the grandparents agree to adopt the kids. If you are paying child support they have little incentive to do so.

There seems to be this myth that a parent can just give up their rights and get out of paying support. That's all it is, a myth. The practical matter is that only a court can terminate parental rights and courts are VERY reluctant to do so. Generally they will only do so to clear the way for adoption or if the parent represents a danger to the child. And they will never do so just to allow a parent to get out of paying child support.

You don't say why the grandmother has custody or why you don't want to be with your kids, but you can forget about giving up ryour ights.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 05:59 PM

You could though the courts perhaps give them guardianship of the children, if the other parent agrees, but would be subject to paying support to them

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to terminate my parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

I need to know how to terminate my parental rights to my kids who hate me and refuse to visit .

How do I terminate my parental rights? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have an 11 year old daughter that I pay 505 dollars a month for who lives in Virginia. I have no custody or visitation and have not seen her since she was 3. She calls her mothers new husband dad and really doesn't even know who I am. I am re-married with two other children...

Terminate parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

My son who is 15, used to live with me and my wife. I had physical custody. He became violent and disruptive and very hard to handle. My exwife moved him in with her for a while, but he also got into trouble there. To make a long story short,he now lives with my ex brother in law and he now has...

Terminate parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

My ex- boyfriend and I have a 10 year old son and he never pays the child support on time or visit on the regular basis, more like once every 8 or 10 months or when he gets a new girlfriend, how long do I have to wait to ask the court declare abandonment. We live in Florida

How do I terminate my parental rights in tx without having to pay much? [ 26 Answers ]

OK well I've made my decision... I've thought long and hard for obviously a really long time and now have decided to terminate my rights as my daughters father. The main reason for me doing this is yes she will have better medical care and now I have seen how happy she looks with her new dad and I...

View more questions Search