Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linjarvis Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 03:27 PM
    Salt Intake
    How much salt can a person with congestive heart failure intake in a day - is there a maximum number of mg. per food item or a simple number of mg. per day from all food sources?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 03:56 PM

According to the site, below (American Heart Association),

"Physicians often recommend keeping salt intake below 2,300 milligrams (mg) per day for most people. However, for people with heart failure, recommended sodium intake is no more than 2,000 mg per day."

Cutting Down on Salt

This isn't absolute, but with congestive heart failure, there's no question that less is better. As water accumulates in your tissues and specifically in and around the heart muscle, the heart is unable to pump as efficiently. As a result, blood pressure drops and the kidneys cannot get rid of the water (or the salt in the water). The result is that more water builds up. If this isn't corrected, it results in kidney failure and subsequent heart failure and death.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2009, 06:05 PM

I would also say 1500-to 2000mg per day max, which is about 1 teaspon, so you really would have to learn how to read food labels and make good food choices, and not add any to foods, like canned veggies.. for instance which is really high already, stick to fresh or frozen veggies for instances. Watch or cut out processed foods Like processed cheese, lunch meats...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fresh air intake [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Goodman gas furnace that's 90% efficient. I bought the equipment and hired an installer. He didn't put in any fresh air intake. There seems to be an intake opening (about 3 inches with crisscross grating) on the side of the unit near the gas line. The unit passed the rough in...

Is the no salt substitue for salt dangerous [ 3 Answers ]

My 80 year old grandpaw was told to cut down on his salt intake. We bought the no-salt substitute because he would not cut down on the amount of salt he used. His taste buds are not working correctly because he can not tell the difference. If you have ever tried it you knoe what I mean. Anyway,...

Salt pellet damage to car from salt truck [ 2 Answers ]

Re: Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). My car was pelted by salt pellets being sprayed on the Kennedy Expy. Near Chicago. The pavement was totally dry thus causing the pellets to fly into my car which was traveling at 55 mph, damaging the hood and fenders extensively to the tune of over...

View more questions Search