Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 1, 2009, 09:50 AM

I have to admit that I am completely ignorant of quantum mechanics, string theory and quantum connectedness theory. I have read some stuff on these subjects, but they have always made my head spin. I think that the guys who work on quantum mechanics must either be insane themselves or they must be trying to drive everyone ELSE insane. I just simply cannot understand the concepts without resorting to psychtropic drugs that I have no interest in experimenting with.

Can someone explain... in terms that a 3 year old could understand... how string theory works, how it applies to creation/genesis theory, and how it would preclude the Big Bang theory of creation/genesis?

Thanks.

Elliot
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 1, 2009, 04:23 PM

Hi Elliot

First of all I think it is important to understand why String String Theory was introduced in the first place.
    The classical way of thinking has been that just before the Big Bang the universe was condensed into a tiny singularity that was infinite in time and mass. A Physicist once said ( I cannot remember his name) that infinities only serve to show our ignorance. Once matter is separated by less than a Planck Length (very tiny distance) then the classical sciences we use are of no use. A new way was needed to explain distances smaller than a Planck Length. Basically with String Theory there is no need for a singularity which marks the beginning of time and space... I'll let someone else come in here if you like and continue a bit later. My internet still keeps dropping out (dam government monopolies ).Tut
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Oct 1, 2009, 04:42 PM

In the midst of all this interesting discussion, it might be good to remember that there is not only a physical universe, but also a spiritual universe that we cannot (normally) see.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    In the midst of all this interesting discussion, it might be good to remember that there is not only a physical universe, but also a spiritual universe that we cannot (normally) see.
    How do you know there is a spiritual universe?

Oct 1, 2009, 07:53 PM
    I'll let other people more knowledgeable than myself answer spiritual matters.

The interesting thing about String Theory is that it allows us to redefine a singularity. A reason for this is because Strings are extremely tiny. Importantly,they are not a point particle (singularity) as defined by classical physics. They are two dimensional "objects" of pure energy which vibrate. If a String were the size of a small tree then an atom would be the size of our galaxy( very roughly).

Basically everything is made up of strings. The difference between me and the chair I am sitting on is the way the strings are vibrating. To cut a long story short. The mathematical outcome of String Theory is the need for extra dimensions. One such possibility is the existence of Branes. When Branes collide bad things happen to our universe and the other universe which collided with us. The result is what scientists called the Big Bang.

The problem from a religious point of view is that there is no first cause. Elscarta makes the point that how do we know if there were any previous collisions. Our universe may have been the first. Unfortunately I think there are problems with this claim. Brane Theory suggests that there was no first, in exactly the same way as there will be no last collision.

We need to keep in mind this is all only theory based on mathematics... Tut
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 08:21 PM
    Sounds like a no braner to me
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    I'll let other people more knowledgeable than myself answer spiritual matters.

The interesting thing about String Theory is that it allows us to redefine a singularity. A reason for this is because Strings are extremely tiny. Importantly,they are not a point particle (singularity) as defined by classical physics. They are two dimensional "objects" of pure energy which vibrate. If a String were the size of a small tree then an atom would be the size of our galaxy( very roughly).

Basically everything is made up of strings. The difference between me and the chair I am sitting on is the way the strings are vibrating. To cut a long story short. The mathematical outcome of String Theory is the need for extra dimensions. One such possibility is the existence of Branes. When Branes collide bad things happen to our universe and the other universe which collided with us. The result is what scientists called the Big Bang.

The problem from a religious point of view is that there is no first cause. Elscarta makes the point that how do we know if there were any previous collisions. Our universe may have been the first. Unfortunately I think there are problems with this claim. Brane Theory suggests that there was no first, in exactly the same way as there will be no last collision.

We need to keep in mind this is all only theory based on mathematics....Tut
    All these theories are very interesting but they are only theories and just like the giant turtle and the big bang they will be discredited and forgotten. You really need to get it straight are you talking about dimensions or parallel universes? There is a difference

Oct 1, 2009, 08:26 PM
    As an after thought I think that String Theory is the 'fly in the ointment' here. We already have a scientific and a biblical account of creation that match each other. There is no need to introduce String Theory at this stage.

Oct 1, 2009, 09:21 PM
    Hello Paraclete, Thanks for point out the difference between dimensions and parallel universes. Someone more qualified than myself could do a better job, but here goes anyway.

Our universe has branes traveling through it via a different dimension. These branes can be as big as the universe itself. If two branes happen to collide( now called membranes) then there is a Big Bang. Now exactly the same thing could be happening in a parallel universe. I don't think M Theory excludes the possibility that two parallel universes can interact, however I could stand corrected... Tut
    elscarta Posts: 118, Reputation: 20

Oct 1, 2009, 11:19 PM

Tut, the mathematics of a supercoducting loop suggest that there was no first time that the current went around the loop in exactly the same way as there will be no last time. This is the same with any oscillating system. The mathematics doesn't need to predict a first cause for there to be a first cause!
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 2, 2009, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    Hi Elliot

First of all I think it is important to understand why String String Theory was introduced in the first place.
    The classical way of thinking has been that just before the Big Bang the universe was condensed into a tiny singularity that was infinite in time and mass. A Physicist once said ( I cannot remember his name) that infinities only serve to show our ignorance. Once matter is separated by less than a Planck Length (very tiny distance) then the classical sciences we use are of no use. A new way was needed to explain distances smaller than a Planck Length. Basically with String Theory there is no need for a singularity which marks the beginning of time and space... I'll let someone else come in here if you like and continue a bit later. My internet still keeps dropping out (dam government monopolies ).Tut
    Thanks. I STILL don't understand it, but I appreciate the effort.

Oct 3, 2009, 03:40 PM

Hello Elliot

Perhaps a few remarks centred on the last part of the debate will help.

Obviously, a genesis account requires a first cause. There are many good first cause arguments that fit well into the traditional Big Bang theory.

String/Brane theory makes it harder to fit in a first cause argument. Harder, but not impossible.

Best of luck with it... Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Science, God & the Bible [ 16 Answers ]

For those who want science to 'prove God' The Bible says god took the unseen things to make the things that are seen Science discovered atoms, molecules, DNA, etc... The Bible talks about underwater currents In the 1800's Matthew Fontaine Maury discovered underwater currents The Bible...

How old? Bible vs. Science [ 23 Answers ]

I was questioning how science could determine that something is hundreds of thousands, millions or even billions of years old. In particular, bones. My thoughts were... Doesn't elements affect the aging process. Like cold, heat, fire, ice, elements in the air and dirt, etc. Cold slows down the...

Earth Science [ 1 Answers ]

What is the standard for comparison in am exparament?:confused:

Earth science [ 3 Answers ]

what is the part of the ground where all of the pore spaces are filled with water?

Earth Science [ 2 Answers ]

What are the six steps of the Scientific Method?

View more questions Search