Ask
    lovelymissy29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 02:11 PM
    Fleas
    My puppies have fleas they are 3 weeks what can I use ?:confused:
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 02:45 PM

Go see a vet or phone for advice, they will tell you what is safe to use on puppies, probabley some sort of powder or shampoo.

I know the vet can inject some sort of capsule under the skin to kill the fleas, but that might only be for older dogs.

Speak to a vet as soon as possible.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2009, 12:52 AM

Do not use any flea treaments on puppies this young!

Wash the puppies in a warm water with a mild dishwashing detergent and dry them thoroughly then manually pick the fleas out of their fur.

Treat the mother to prevent them from reoccuring.

A trip to the vet is needed to make sure the pups haven't contracted tapeworm from the fleas.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 05:17 PM
    Shaz got most of it, but the bedding needs to be treated as well. If they're bedding in fabrics, spray the fabrics with a flea spray and then launder in hot water BEFORE the puppies are put back in. If they're in a more organic bed, like cedar shavings, change it all the way down to bare wood/stone. Flea eggs and pupae are designed by nature to be as hard to get rid of as possible, so you're looking at weekly bedding changes until the pups are old enough to have their own beds and flea treatments.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2009, 10:52 PM

Very good point Catsmine, forgot to mention the bedding :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to get rid of fleas? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a total of 8 dogs at the moment. They are all full blooded min pins. 5 of them are 5weeks and 5days old today. They are the ones I am inquiring about. The poor babies have fleas. Is it safe to put skin so soft on puppies this young? Is there anything that I can do to help these little...

How to get rid of fleas on cat [ 4 Answers ]

Quick question about fleas on a cat. We discovered that our indoor cat has fleas. So we shampooed him with flea shampoo then we gave him Zodiac Spot on Plus flea & tick Control 3mth supply 2 days ago & today I have found at least 4 live ones still on him. What else can we do to get rid of fleas. We...

Can't get rid of these fleas! [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old dog. He never had fleas up until a month ago. My friend brought her dog over, and wouldn't you know it, he had fleas. I have tried flea baths, the stuff you put on the back of their neck, nothing works! Anyone have any ideas? I'm taking him to the vet next week anyway, but...

Pup with fleas [ 2 Answers ]

We just got a new puppy and found out it has fleas what can we do

Fleas on a pup [ 8 Answers ]

We recently got our 4 year old a puppy and when we got the puppy home she is swimming in fleas. Then puppy is only 5 weeks old and we got it early because the mother ran away. I have tried the dish soap method to remove the fleas and I'm afraid to make her sick. Nothing has seemed to work. I...

View more questions Search