Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    illusive3825 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2006, 09:21 PM
    Apartment rental
    Greetings. I live in an apartment complex in Volusia County, in Florida. I have never signed a lease where I reside, and I assume that this makes me month to month, and have lived here 9 months thus far. I have been complaining about a leak from my air conditioner and its poor functioning for quite some time. Now, I am without a properly functioning air conditioning sometimes it comes on a little bit, and sometimes not at all. It has been approximately 1 month. I have written several letters to the office manager and kept him aware of the situation, but I keep getting the "run-around" on when it will be fixed. I have requested a credit off next months rent, assuming that the air conditioner will be replaced/fixed by then. However, it is not fixed I want to move somewhere else. What rights do I have, in that I have no contract/lease?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 02:55 AM
    Yes, the absence of a written lease means you're month to month. You can give a 30-day notice to move at any time.

Here is what Florida law says about the landlord's responsibility to maintain the premises: http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/ind...n%2051#0083.51

Alternative to moving, you might copy this and inform him that he must make the repairs immediately or you will report him to both the applicable building, housing, and health code enforcement authorities and the State Attorney General.

This sort of tactic usually gets stuff done, but it sets you up for a less than pleasant relationship with the landlord... so between moving and pushing the repair, you pick the least unpleasant one and go with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New apartment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm going to move in to a new studio (one room apartment) in couple of months and I really want To make it look good witout using a lot of money. I've looked at some examples in magazines and I Wonder if I should decorate my room in an extreme Fancy way that I like (such as leopard...

Apartment contracts [ 10 Answers ]

We have lived in our apartment for 27 years. We have new owners and they want us to sign a new contract. The contract states that we will be financially responsible for all repairs due to the apartment and if repairs are not made that they have the right to take personal possessions from your...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

Mold in apartment [ 12 Answers ]

I moved from Florida last November in that home I had all ceramic tile floors I am now in Pa. leasing an Apt. that has wool rugs, gas stove, window air conditioners that draw in the mold that is outside on my Apt. I would like to know if there is any way that I can break my lease because I have...

Pro-rated vacancy rental law (apartment) [ 4 Answers ]

Can one tenant pro-rate her rent only if all the tenants in the apartment are leaving? My sister, my roommate and I were on a month-to-month lease when we all decided to leave. Somehow my roommate managed to pro-rate her rent because she was leaving a week earlier than my sister and I. Is this...

View more questions Search