Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logicalthinker Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 03:52 AM
    Chance of getting off parole early
    An acquaintance of mine pled guilty to criminal possession of a stolen firearm, and criminal possession of narcotics. He qualified for "shock camp" and served 9 months there. The remainder of his sentence was 5 years parole. Now it goes without saying that this person obviously made some idiotic choices, I'm not debating or denying that. However, he truly is one of the precious few that has chosen to turn his life around. He has followed the requirements of his parole and is doing really well. What are the chances of him being released from parole early with the charges he was convicted of? This is in New York.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by logicalthinker View Post
    What are the chances of him being released from parole early with the charges he was convicted of?
    Hello logical:

His crime was dealt with at the courthouse. Whether he gets off parole early has to do with lots of things, his CRIME not being one of them.

IF he's done more than HALF of his parole, paid his fees, fines costs, and restitution, attended all the classes he's been required to attend, maintained a job and a stable home since his release, and he's as precious as you say he is, I'd give him a 50/50 shot at getting off early.

excon

Apr 26, 2009, 05:03 PM

Thanks excon. He hasn't quite done half the time. Almost though! Parole definitely doesn't make it very easy to get ahead but he's keeping with the "I did the crime,now I gotta pay for it" mentality. Is getting released from parole early something he would have to request? Or does parole keep on top of these type of things?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 05:31 PM

Yes it is something he has to ask for, the parole people will not say, hey you are doing good, lets see if the judge will release it.

Parole is there to keep you on parole or even try and find reasons to revoke you.

Apr 26, 2009, 05:39 PM

I know! I know that parole and probation are necessary in the justice system, but you would think they would want to take the burden off the parole officers when a parolee is doing well. They let prisoners out early for good behavior, shouldn't it work the same with parolees? Sorry, just venting.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2009, 08:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by logicalthinker View Post
    I know! I know that parole and probation are neccesary in the justice system, but you would think they would want to take the burden off the parole officers when a parolee is doing well. They let prisoners out early for good behavior, shouldn't it work the same with parolees? Sorry, just venting.
    Venting? More like daydreaming.
    Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 08:55 PM

No the pressure is on the PO to find something that the person is doing to report. Esp in parole.

Now many are just pencil pushers in large offices, they check the box, dot the I and cross the T.

In fact they will be upset if you ask for a early release since it is outside their fill in the blank sheet they do every day. Some may even try and say they can't do it.

They are not there to be your friend or help you.

Apr 26, 2009, 09:01 PM

I suppose it could be daydreaming.

Apr 26, 2009, 09:03 PM
    So their actual purpose is to try and put you back in prison? What's the point of it then? Why not just keep the criminals in jail for their full sentence to begin with?
    Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 09:05 PM

First of course here are some good PO's out there, we used to have a couple who post here once in a while.

I even did some private PO for a private company in Georgia that took care of some city and country PO work.

But in general, you can still ask, they will have a manual that sets out the exact rules for it, if you meet all of the rules, you have a good chance.

Apr 26, 2009, 09:16 PM

He had asked his parole officer for permission to apply for his driver license, he wanted to get a second job. The PO told him no, and also said they wouldn't extend his curfew even if he could prove he would be at work... that's what made me think to ask. Thanks for all your help :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting off parole [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any chance of getting off parole early? I have been on parole for multiple (3) DWI offences since getting out in 2004 after serving 2 years in prison. What are the chances of being dismissed before my 2009 date? I have had no violations and have been clean since that time. This is in...

Motion for early parole/probation? [ 1 Answers ]

Where do you find a form for early termination of federal parole/probation

Any insight for submitting an early termination of parole for the state of CO? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband will be off probation in the state of Colorado in July of this year, however, we wanted to request for early termination of probation. We are looking for any insight, thoughts, or examples of any requests. We would appreciate any help possible... thank you!

Parole DUI [ 3 Answers ]

Actually I'm on parole so the judge no longer has jurisdiction. I'm just wondering if it's up to my PO whether to violate me or not

Parole DUI [ 1 Answers ]

I have been on parole for over two years. My sentence is scheduled to end in 2011. I got a misdemeanor DUI on 10/21. Is it up to my PO's discretion to send me to jail or is she simply obligated to do so?

View more questions Search