Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwaddy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 09:19 PM
    Connecting vcr,dvd recorder & cable/tv
    Connecting vcr,dvd recorder & cable/tv?
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Apr 25, 2009, 09:43 PM

Hard to be specific without knowing more about which connections each device has (models vary). There are even issues of which cable converter boxes feature stereo sound on the RF outputs, the Stereo L/R connectors or both (some have stereo sound on one output and monaural sound on the other).

You might find diagrams suggesting connections in the devices' user manuals. Some manufacturers provide downloadable user manuals on their web sites for the convenience of customers that aren't able to locate the paper manuals. A few cable and satellite operators provide connection diagrams on their web sites.

When the source and destination devices have the same type of connection you should use the better connection. In order starting from the best available on your devices use HDMI, component, S-video, RF or composite for the visual portion of the signal. HDMI also carries audio signals, you might also be able to use optical fiber or electrical L/R stereo connections for your audio.

With some equipment you might need a switch box available at many video game dealers and other electronic retailers.

There may be functions in your DVD recorder that prevent it from copying many commercially produced video recordings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting DVD recorder to Satellite AND cable box [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new panasonic DVD recorder that I am trying to connect to both my Satellite box (for international channels) and my Charter Cable DVR. I have been trying to do this for over a week now and cannot get it to work properly with the Charter Cable DVR. I get the lower channels but not the HD...

Connecting hdtv, cable, dvr/vhs combo recorder [ 3 Answers ]

I have connected our Sony hdtv to Comcast cable box with hdmi cord (input hdmi1 ) And a dvd/vhs recorder (SONY RDR-VXD655) via hdmi cord. (input hdmi 2) I also connected the recorder to cable via the audio/video cord (red, yellow, white) cord (as manual directed) (as cable “tech” suggested I...

Connecting DVD recorder [ 1 Answers ]

Already had Hitachi L32H01U HD TV, PS3 and V+ Box connected and all working OK. Bought Sony RDR-HXD860 DVD recorder but can't get dvd recorder to recognise any channels. Just asks to check ariel connection. Tried different variations but nothing seems to work. Please help.

Old TV, cable box, dvd recorder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm getting rather frustrated with this, since it seems it should be a simple process, but it's turning out to be a major headache. I have an old RCA TV with just the one cable hookup in the back. I'm also using Comcast's Motorola cable box. The TV is hooked up just fine to it, but...

View more questions Search