Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Apr 25, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Family Guy goes too far
    I'm a big fan of Family Guy and I love their insensitive, politically incorrect humor, but even I think they went too far in last week's episode. The scene where Peter killed Quagmire's cat was absolutely disgusting and may have inspired a real life abuse in Seattle. I'm no prude and I find it hilarious when they mock minorities, gays, mentally challeged people, and politicians, but animal abuse is never funny and Seth MacFarlane should be ashamed of himself. I would urge all fans of the show to send emails to him to express your outrage.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

Apr 25, 2009, 01:00 PM

I think it reached its bad taste when peter says "i have a lucky cats foot" as he raises up his hand to show the cat paw.

Now can I say this was the reason for an actual killing of a cat in Seattle, no I can... why I haven't read that article yet.

I can say this though if things keep on track, California just might legalize weed just so they can tax it to help pull California out from its economy rut...

Yeesh!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 01:29 PM

I did not see that episode but family guy crosses the bounderies all the time. That is just the way the show is. I am a fan and think the show is hilarious. For anybody to turn around and go out and kill a cat because they saw it on TV has major mental problems in the first place.

Not really interested in sending emails.

Joe
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 01:32 PM
    Nah, no emails from me. Love the show, don't care if a deranged person did a possible copycat, a deranged person will get inspiration from clothes drying if they really want to do something badly enough.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 01:56 PM

Family guy is made with poor humor, sarcasm and it's a show that loves to stir the pot.

You find this offensive. There are many people that found the first episodes offensive. Like you said, they mock gays. I bet they wrote an angry letter or two.

The fact is Family Guy is just a show that likes to push buttons. It may have pushed yours now but it has pushed someone elses' a long time ago.

My opinion is , if you don't like it, don't watch it.

Just a thought.

Sarah
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 25, 2009, 02:10 PM

I have to say, if people sent emails every time Family Guy crossed the line, they're be too many emails to read, it would be easier to cancel the show at that point.

It's not like people aren't aware that what they are watching can be controversial and in bad taste. You either like it or leave it.

At one time or another every person on this earth will have a problem with one of the episodes. This time it's the OP, tomorrow it may be the gays, Canadians, women, dogs, you name it.

It's your choice to watch it or change the channel.

Apr 25, 2009, 05:58 PM

Family Guy is a twisted ADULT cartoon and we, I, you have seen worse stuff on t.v and in the movies. In short no cat lost their life in this cartoon, but you can't blame the show for
    Some sick deranged person who felt the need to copycat a cartoon.

Hm... I feel like buying a bag-o-weed, stewie and brian style!

NOT!

:D

Your rant is your right, don't let us stop you for doing what you feel is right.

Apr 25, 2009, 06:17 PM
    I still love the show most of the time, it's just a shame that the show's quality has gone downhill in the past few seasons, Peter's character has become very annoying and Quagmire doesn't get many good lines anymore. Brian and Stewie are still great and they're really carrying the show, would like to see them get a spinoff.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 06:20 PM

No spin offs.

I am watching an hour of family guy right now.

I personally think it's the funniest cartoon out there.

Not really seeing the same things you seeing but oh well.

Apr 25, 2009, 06:21 PM

If they get a spin off I hope it last longer than Enos... lmao!

Just in case you go huh...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Enos
    Genre Sitcom
    Action
    Directed by Rodney Amateau
    Michael Caffey
    Dennis Donnelly
    Bruce Kessler
    Bernard McEveety
    Hollingsworth Morse
    Starring Sonny Shroyer
    John Dehner

Country of origin United States
    Language(s) English
    No. of seasons 1
    No. of episodes 18
    Production
    Executive producer(s) Paul R. Picard
    Gy Waldron
    Producer(s) James Heinz
    B.W. Sandefur
    Running time 60 minutes.
    Broadcast
    Original channel CBS
    Original run November 12, 1980 – September 19, 1981
    Chronology
    Related shows The Dukes of Hazzard
    Enos is an American television series from the 1980-1981 season that aired on the CBS network. A spinoff of The Dukes of Hazzard, Enos focused on the adventures of Enos Strate, a former small-town deputy in Hazzard County, now having moved to Los Angeles to join the L.A.P.D. Each episode included new adventures of Enos and his black partner Turk, and usually began and ended with Enos writing a letter to Daisy Duke telling her about his adventures in Los Angeles. Enos Strate was portrayed by actor Sonny Shroyer in both series.

To try and boost ratings, a number of characters from The Dukes of Hazzard were brought in in guest roles for various episodes, but the show still failed to catch on. It was canceled after one season and 18 episodes, and the character returned to The Dukes of Hazzard in the fall of 1982.

[edit] Cast
    Character Actor
    Enos Strate Sonny Shroyer
    Turk Adams Samuel E. Wright
    Lt. Joseph Broggi John Dehner
    Captain Dempsey John Milford
    Detective Bigelow C. Peter Munro
    Sergeant Theodore Kick Leo V. Gordon

Apr 25, 2009, 06:39 PM
    I think Frasier, Lou Grant, The Jeffersons, Family Matters, Laverne & Shirley and Maude were some of the best spinoffs.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 06:41 PM

These days those shows wouldn't last a season. People are all about entertainment and/or getting knowledge in a fun way.

Those shows were good, but we're in a different time.

Sarah
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    These days those shows wouldn't last a season. People are all about entertainment and/or getting knowledge in a fun way.

Those shows were good, but we're in a different time.

Sarah
    Yes, that is for sure.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2009, 08:28 AM

Hi earl... love family guy.

Very in your face outrageous humour no one else would dare televise.

That's why we all love it.Even though sometimes we turn away in sheer dis-belief of what's been said or shown, do we turn it off...

NO
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2009, 09:21 AM

I saw Seth MacFarlane on a talk show one night and he said he is regularly inundated with hate mail.Then there was that whole conversation about any publicity being good publicity.

There have been times when I have said *wow,I don't know how they get away with that* but that is the nature of the show.

Bottom line,the remote has options and people who are offended need to exercise their right to switch channels.

The jack a$$ people have been sued many times because of people copying their stunts and it never comes to anything .

I think this is just one of those things you need to let slide off your back because as much hate mail as they get,ratings are still very high.The bottom line is ,it makes money.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2009, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    I'm a big fan of Family Guy and I love their insensitive, politically incorrect humor, but even I think they went too far in last week's episode. The scene where Peter killed Quagmire's cat was absolutely disgusting and may have inspired a real life abuse in Seattle. I'm no prude and I find it hilarious when they mock minorities, gays, mentally challeged people, and politicians, but animal abuse is never funny and Seth MacFarlane should be ashamed of himself. I would urge all fans of the show to send emails to him to express your outrage.
    South park did it first :D
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 07:19 PM

Yes, so true Albear.
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jun 7, 2009, 02:49 PM

Well, one show I though might have crossed a boundary was when Peter got in touch with his feminine side to the point where he wanted to breast feed. There was an incident with Stewie that I'm surprised the FCC allowed, but then again, I laughed my butt off...

Love that show.
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Jul 2, 2009, 10:35 AM

There is a spin-off of Family Guy now called "The Cleveland Show". IMO it looks pretty dumb and I won't watch even though I am a fan of Family Guy.

I am disappointed in the show lately because of the numerous political interjections... when a show/singer/artist starts to come on strong politically, it really turns me off and for a lot of them it spells the end of their career! Plus it's a good way to lose half their audience!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 10:45 AM
    Well considering that family Guy was actually cancelled and returned based on strong DVD sales I think they've found their audience. I didn't know the spin-off was already airing, it was mentioned that it starts in fall 2009.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single family to 2 family electrical service [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, first time posting to this site. I am changing an existing 200 amp service to a 2 meter service. Presently, the home added an apartment above the garage with its own 100 amp panel. The panel is served by a 100 amp breaker in the main panel. The homeowner wants to separately meter the...

How to Convert a single family house to a legal 4 family house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all I am looking to convert my singly family home to a legal 4 family house so as to rent out all 4 units and get some income. How to do I go about getting all the information and permission for the same? Thanks

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

View more questions Search