Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Jul 2, 2009, 11:01 AM

Oh, I didn't say it was already showing, I just said it exists. I don't know when/if it's on, I'm not planning on watching so I don't have it marked on the calendar or anything...

Yes, I remember that Family Guy was cancelled and brought back due to DVD sales! I was highly upset when it was cancelled and I waited so long for the DVD's to be available! It's only been of late that the political crap has been spewing, the past 2 seasons maybe... it's not present in every episode necessarily. It has turned me off, depending on the episode sometimes I will turn the channel because I don't want to hear Seth's political views. If it continues and gets worse, I might stop watching altogether. It's sad, because I really love the show. I like how it equally offends... Seth should take what he knows about being equal and leave his political views out of it.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 11:02 AM

I don't think it would get cancelled any time soon (again), I haven't heard about this case in seattle where someone actually killed a cat but I saw this episode and thought it was funny. If someone is messed up enough to kill a cat cause they saw it on a TV show they would have done something just as bad in another way or because of another show.

As said it's a TV show geared more to adults so if it offends someone there are plenty of other shows on at 9:00 on Sunday.

EDIT: Also the entire phrase "Family Guy Goes Too Far" is a moot point, that's the whole point of the show
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 11:08 AM
    I must admit I laughed at the Reagan/Gorby joke last weekend - it was so wrong it was funny. :)

Jul 2, 2009, 11:18 AM

I didn't really find that joke funny. But it's not the jokes I'm talking about, it's the random interjections of Seth's obviously Dem/Lib views, as if he's forcing them on the audience. It's presented in a fashion that says "I'm a Democrat, I'm right and you're wrong, I'm smart and you're stupid". It has no place in the show, Seth is just using the popularity of the show to put his political views out there to a mass audience. Sheesh, write a book, don't subject the viewers to it... we tuned in for the comedy, not that crap. There's a time and a place for that kind of stuff, using the show to spout off politically is just wrong and off-putting IMO.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 11:24 AM
    Then watch American Dad. Don't take it too seriously. Feel free to change the channel.

Jul 2, 2009, 11:28 AM

Uggh, I HATE American Dad! If you noticed, I did say in a post that I DO change the channel when it begins to bug me. I also said that it saddens me that it has taken this turn, because I LOVE the show, I LOVE the characters, but the political crap has turned me off. It's like losing an old friend, it's sad... hard to let it go!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 06:31 PM

I don't understand most of the political things in the show... so I can just sit back and laugh..

Ps. American Dad is great ;)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 06:42 PM

Love family Guy,

Can not stand American Dad.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 06:44 PM

It's pretty bad when my then 5 year old overheard a show (hubby was watching) and imitated it at school. We were called for a conference and asked if we had an alcohol problem.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 06:49 PM

I would have laughed.. Especially when little kids says the darnest things. People take things way to seriously.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy View Post
    it's pretty bad when my then 5 year old overheard a show (hubby was watching) and imitated it at school. We were called for a conference and asked if we had an alcohol problem.
    Whoops!

Yes, definitely intended for an older audience, my little brother has done the same, except he overheard dad swearing and copied him.

Aww JH, I like American Dad, Family Guy is better but they are both funny in my little mind :)
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jul 2, 2009, 09:52 PM

Regarding politics:

The politics of the show never bothered me.
    I have come to accept that ALL TV is politically right or left. Most of your "adult cartoons" have always leaned left.

The best way to avoid politics on TV is to turn it off. Otherwise, just roll with the punches and laugh along.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 09:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewc24301 View Post
    Regarding politics:

The politics of the show never bothered me.
    I have come to accept that ALL TV is politically right or left. Most of your "adult cartoons" have always leaned left.

The best way to avoid politics on TV is to turn it off. Otherwise, just roll with the punches and laugh along.
    Yes. I agree.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 10:42 PM

I have to disagree. I'm just not for giving animals more rights than humans. Why should we stand for different groups of people being mocked and killed but then get upset over an animal? Just my opinion though.

Jul 3, 2009, 12:23 AM

The politics of the show never bothered me either until lately. It's not the jokes, it's the blatant political statements that irritate me. I wish I could think of a specific example, but nothing is coming to me right now. I'm perfectly capable of seeing the humor in something regardless of if it agrees with my politics or not, that's not the issue here. I'm a firm believer that you got to be able to laugh at yourself sometimes, can't take EVERYTHING too seriously!

I've seen it in a lot of entertainers, there comes a point in their career that they choose to use their popularity and their device (whether is a show, music, etc) to force their politics on others. It usually coincides with the demise of their careers... They never seem to learn.

Absolutely, almost anything on TV has some slant to it, whether it's flat out obvious or not. Sometimes it's limited to a particular show, sometimes it's the whole darn network. Most of it is easy to overlook as long as you keep in mind that if a show leans a certain way then be wary of the information you take away from it, it could be skewed or omitting opposing views/facts completely. The History Channel is one that has gotten bad about this, sadly. Our PBS here has gotten so bad that they flat out refuse to air certain episodes of NOVA, it's ridiculous... But I got to say, of the most common and popular entertainment channels, MTV has got to be the absolute worst!

Edit: OK, the Nazi uniforms that Brian and Stewie wear when in German-occupied Poland, one has a McCain-Palin pin on it. What purpose does that serve other than to force politics on the audience? It's a direct insult to at least probably half the people watching the show. Not a funny ha-ha-laugh-at-yourself jab like the show is known for, a mean-spirited jab.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2009, 04:01 AM
    A coworker of mine lets his three children watch this show. They're all under the age of ten. I told him I would never let my kids watch it because it teaches them racism, discrimination, and all the bad things that adults are doing today. He said "you don't watch cartoons with your kids?" like I was the bad parent. Trust me I'm no prude, I had my share of fun, raised hell when I was younger, and still enjoy dirty jokes. But not around my kids. I simply choose not to watch adult cartoons because they are not funny to me, and my kids are always in and out of the room. It's prime time here. I'm not in a rush to have to explain to my kids what a so and so is , or why do they call them THAT? That's just my opinion, and our house.
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 06:48 AM

I only let my little boy watch age appropriate shows. I think shows like family guy is meant for adult audience and should not be shown to kids, but then again. It is not up to the entertainment industry to baby sit parents to make sure they have enough common sense to control what their children watch on TV.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2009, 06:55 AM
    Jh76, I agree completely. And we don't wait for the power to go off before we pick up a book.
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 07:01 AM

Excellent, very good... (;

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single family to 2 family electrical service [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, first time posting to this site. I am changing an existing 200 amp service to a 2 meter service. Presently, the home added an apartment above the garage with its own 100 amp panel. The panel is served by a 100 amp breaker in the main panel. The homeowner wants to separately meter the...

How to Convert a single family house to a legal 4 family house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all I am looking to convert my singly family home to a legal 4 family house so as to rent out all 4 units and get some income. How to do I go about getting all the information and permission for the same? Thanks

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

View more questions Search