Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bailacommami89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 08:57 AM
    Applying for asylum
    My fiancé is in removal proceedings and he is being detained in a detention facility. He has a Misdamenor domestic charge, can he still apply for asylum?:confused:
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 25, 2009, 09:58 AM

Seeking asylum means he is escaping from threat in his home country such as genocide or such thing. Being detained with domestic violence charge cannot be used as ground for asylum. Besides, having domestic violence charge in any country will preclude him from obtaining US immigrant visa.

As an advocate in domestic violence, I strongly suggest that you stay away from him. Love alone is not enough.. and don't expect him to change.. good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2009, 10:49 AM

It is very unlikely if he will be allowed to.
    Fostina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 11:04 AM

I know someone who live in Nigeria, and want to come to America. He said it is very bad there . How can this be done??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asylum and Travel Document questions [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have 2 questions and I thank anyone that will help me out. I first will give a brief overview of my situation. Last time I entered the US was in 2000 as an international student with F-1 visa (no residency limitations). Since then I have studied and have received A.S. B.S. and an...

Naturalization and Asylum [ 10 Answers ]

I have two question and would appreciate any advice. My asylum case is still pending; however, my wife (whom I married after I filed for asylum) will be eligible to apply for naturalization in a month. Here are the questions: 1) Once she becomes naturalized AND my case is still pending, will...

File an opt and asylum visa status? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Sunil Shrestha. I'm an student with a F1 student visa. Í am graduating these spring semester from the Baltimore City Community College, Baltimore, MD USA. So, I'm applying for OPT and also I'm applying for the Asylum program. Will filing these two things at a same time will...

Understanding asylum case. [ 4 Answers ]

Let me explain my background: I entered the U.S. Oct. 91 (5 years old) on a Visitor for Pleasure Visa (B-2 I think), we overstayed the visa and it took my parents until '95 (didn't understand legal/immigration system, much less english) to submit papers to USCIS, USCIS claims they never found...

Asylum [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I recently helped a relative who was been persecuted back in our home country to apply for assylum and it was successful.I am a social activist that try to do my best to help people suffering injustices back home in africa.I am a student here in the United States but I have gotten into...

View more questions Search