Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 12:15 AM
    Cloudy fish tank water
    Hi guys!
    About a week ago we had incident with our fish where a young relative tipped an entire container of fish food into our goldfish bowl.
    She didn't tell us she had done it and we didn't notice as the fish bowl was at my partners mothers house while we were relocating.

We attempted to clean the tank but after a few fish dies we had to completely change the water and wash the gravel.

I have used filtered water and used all the appropriate water agers and added a good bacteria product. We currently have a small filter running in the bowl.
    We took a water sample into our local pet store and water has been tested for all nasties.

So... Any ideas why the water is still very cloudy? Will it clear itself or do I need to add something to the water?
    The fish seem happy and healthy, but I'm not sure for how long (plus it looks rather gross in our kitchen)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 25, 2009, 11:43 AM

I am by no means a fish expert, all mine die except the 4 year old goldfish, but, it's been my experience that when you change the entire tank then the water will be cloudy for a few days. It takes time for the water to settle and the drops etc to clear it all up.

Once again, not an expert in this, just my experience.

:)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2009, 12:21 PM

They have drops that you add to cloudy water to clear it up, it helps all the little spect join together and get caught in the filter.

Have you changed the filter elements during this
    jammin1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 10:41 PM
    First do a 50% water chane if it don't clear up try Crystal Clear Clears Cloudy Aquarium Water Immediately good luck jenny
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2009, 03:00 AM

Thanks guys. Yeah I thought that too Alty but it's been a few days now and no improvement at all... if anything it looks worse but that could just be my imagination.
    I'll change half the water and keep a look out for some the clearing drops :)
    Chuck - I have changed the carbon but I only washed out the sponge... do you think I should buy a new sponge as well?

Poor little Lucky and Spot can't see 2 feet in front of them... probably because they are in a 1 foot goldfish bowl :D
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 07:02 AM

Sorry for the thread revival but I bought some of the clearing drops the other day we changed half the tank water and put the drops in, now the tank is crystal clear, thanks guys :D
    DocFisher Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

May 19, 2009, 10:13 AM

I would still watch it though. It sounds like from the water being cloudy I had this same problem. Come to find out that it was due to the bactiera bloom and it will go away in about 2-3 days maybe a little longer but not much. There is not a need to do a water change or add water clearer to it. IT will go away on its own.
    Uber Member

May 19, 2009, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the info DocFisher, I'll keep a close eye on it...

Below is a pic I took last night... it's still clear, but like you said, it might come back so I will be vigilant with water changes.

You wouldn't believe there is 8 fish in there... you can only see the 2 gold fish!
    There's 2 goldfish, 4 zebra danios, 1 sucking catfish and 1 albino pepper catfish.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cloudy Fish Tank [ 6 Answers ]

I set up my new fish tank in Oct. The old one kept getting mold in it (I believe because it was really old). It wasn't my tank, it belonged to my husband. (I got married last year). I understand that the new tank has to cycle, however; it still has not cleared up. I was doing partial water...

Cloudy fish tank [ 22 Answers ]

Hello , I recently got a new hobby... a 30 gallon aquarium.I have had it about 2 months. Initially I put in 6 gold fish,3 red cap orandas and 3 gold fish. I then went and bought ranchu(fat one) and bought 2 plecos(algea eaters) and 3 apple snails. All are fine, except that 2 of the snails died...

Cloudy fish tank [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a 28litre tank and have been running it for two days now with no fish in.I use the filter that came with the tank and have put nutrafin water conditioner and biological aquarium supplement.but when I got home today the water was cloudy . Is this normal and will it go away and when will...

Cloudy Fish Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 50 gallon tank. Wasn't cloudy until I discovered one of the little sharks dead, caught in the filter thingy I removed the dead fish and added the treatment chemicals? What's next I have nine other fish I don't want to die. HELP! I'm new at this fish stuff, so please answer question...

Fish tank cloudy [ 6 Answers ]

All the typical teats come back normal (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate) but the water stays cloudy no matter the water changed or not. The fish tank is a 72 bow front with 4 fish 2 Amazon tiger catfish both about 8 in. 1 armor catfish and 1 pleco. I know the tank is not over stocked or over feed. Any...

View more questions Search