Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jsnova864 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 06:12 PM
    Connecting to Public Wireless Network
    I'm trying to connect to a wireless in a Hospital call "Public". When I do connect to the network I get full signal and every is green and good to go but when I actually try to use the internet it does not work. None of my other internet using apps connect either.

Ipconfig gives me this info:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name.. . : MOON
    Primary Dns Suffix.. . :
    Node Type.. . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled.. . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled.. . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description.. . : Dell Wireless 1500 Draft 802.11n WL
    N Mini-Card
    Physical Address.. . : 00-16-CF-3D-11-F9
    Dhcp Enabled.. . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled.. . : Yes
    IP Address.. . : 192.168.187.231
    Subnet Mask.. . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway.. . : 192.168.187.1
    DHCP Server.. . : 192.168.187.2
    DNS Servers.. . : 216.54.204.186
    Lease Obtained.. . : Friday, April 24, 2009 9:01:19 PM
    Lease Expires.. . : Saturday, April 25, 2009 9:01:19 PM

Does anyone know the cuase for this and if I can fix it? The hospital owns the router so I can not touch it or change settings... at least I think legally...
    I have seen another laptop connected and working to ths network so I know It isn't down.

Dell Inspiron E1505
    Dell Wireless 1500 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card

Apr 25, 2009, 07:38 PM
    I've been looking at the ipconfig stuff for the network I've been using ("Tsnami").

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name.. . : MOON
    Primary Dns Suffix.. . :
    Node Type.. . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled.. . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled.. . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description.. . : Dell Wireless 1500 Draft 802.11n WL
    N Mini-Card
    Physical Address.. . : 00-16-CF-3D-11-F9
    Dhcp Enabled.. . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled.. . : Yes
    IP Address.. . : 10.87.6.230
    Subnet Mask.. . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway.. . : 10.87.0.1
    DHCP Server.. . : 10.87.0.1
    DNS Servers.. . : 10.40.0.252
    Lease Obtained.. . : Saturday, April 25, 2009 9:54:08 PM
    Lease Expires.. . : Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:54:08 PM

I've noticed that the Default gateway here is the same as the DHCP Server where as the "Public" IPs are different. Are they supposed to be the same or can they be the same?

I've also noticed but not sure it matters is that here in the "Tsunami" network the ip address is slightly similar to the DNS server where "Public" is nowhere close (192 and 216).

Hope this helps some what, if not I can at least learn something new
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Apr 28, 2009, 05:03 PM

In either case, the differences are not deal breakers. They are just different configurations. In the first post, your router and DHCP server are simply on different devices where as in the second post, they are the same device.

The DNS server in the first post is on the Internet where as the DNS servers on the second post are not. This means that they likely are forwarding your request to another server at a service provider.

Neither configuration shows any impossiblities for your Internet access unless there are filtering or port blocking that is going on without your knowledge.

If it is in a Hospital, then you may have to contact the IT staff to have them issue you a key. You may have to go to a specific web site that you will acknowlege the rules and agree to abide by them and then you will be permitted Internet access.

Another possibility is that your own Firewall is blocking the connection until you acknowlege that it is a safe network.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 10:10 AM

I agree with chcuckhole.
    The first post has a DHCP server on the network that' dishing it's IP's. On the second post the Network Router is enabled to do the DHCP role.

One thing that I've seen many times is that if; for some reason, the hospital is using filtering (MAC) then the Wirless will show up public but then your not allowed to connect to the internet. This is the way I have my network setup, it shows that's its public and unsecured but it is actually secured. I'mthinking that the access is for personel use only. Why would they have a hotspot for Hospital guests? That guy you saw on his laptop was probably an employee (probably a higher tier position holder)

That's my thought anyway

Rick

May 1, 2009, 01:46 PM
    Unfortunately the guy I saw was not an employee, he was my uncle. We had three laptops there, mine, his, and one he had just bought for my sister (the patient T.T).

The one he had connected was his and he didn't have to do anything special like putting in a mac address or network key, but he did say he had a similar problem like this before and had to change something in his laptop in the past, but he can't remember. He just started it up, connected to the network and it worked internet and all according to him. Though if I recall correctly I had to use a key to use the network in his house last time I went up there. So I assume his laptop was already setup for mac filtering or something, I don't really know, he left 10 minutes after I got there so never got a chance to figure out.

The only other thing I can think of with my limited knowledge (^.^) is as Chuck said, port forwarding. I already tried the firewall and antivirus by turning it all off, reconnecting, and also rebooting the laptop when that didn't work. Is there anyway to find out if the router is forwarding the port without accessing the router?

I'll look more into mac addressees and network keys, but I'm confused as why there would be one. They have three networks, "Public", "Tsunami", and "UHS". Tsunami connects but it's a really crappy network that's everywhere (my sister has transferred 3 hospitals and they all have it). "UHS" which stands for "United Health Services" is a locked network that is for the staff. And "Public" just sits there unlocked (according to the network utility -.-) with the best signal and I am unable to use it. Doesn't make sense they would have a locked network setup for the staff and just make another network called public and have a lock on it too... dunno

k, so I got it isn't anything in the IP Config stuff, so my best bet is probably port forwarding though I will look into mac address and network key also. Sorry for the long post, thanks for the help. :D
    antamedia4569 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2013, 03:54 AM
    Public wireless hot spots are a common way of getting access to the Internet. These are provided by businesses and private individuals who are willing to share their Internet connection to anyone within range.If you are interested to find the information about this topic you must have a look at this website you will find all the answers of your question here. HotSpot Software Features | HotSpot Software

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can not figure out my wireless network password, I have a router and wireless network [ 2 Answers ]

I have wireless network through, router. My wireless network password is saved on my laptop. My brother wants to use his laptop in my home using my wireless network, I know my ip address how do I give him password and key I have forgotten

Connecting wireless computer to a network printer [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect my dell inspiron 1520 with wireless internet/with xp prefessional operating system to an existing networked printer.

More problems connecting to my wireless network [ 2 Answers ]

After having no issues for a couple of years, I quite suddenly can't connect to my wireless network with my laptop. When I choose my network and try to connect, it goes through the motions and says "connected!" but there's no actual connection made. Next to my network name, it'll say "not...

Connecting printer to wireless network [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way to use a printer for more than one computer in a wireless network? The printer is now connected to the desktop computer and I would like to be able to print from my wireless laptop. I know that windows XP has this feature, but I have tried several times to make it work with...

Pc not always connecting to wireless network [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Running XP and have a Linksys wireless router connected to cable modem. Problem I have is when starting up laptop it doesn't always connect to wireless network (there a cross through the TV monitor icon at bottom right of screen) if I right click and repair this will solve the problem most...

View more questions Search