Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    docpat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Mother, daughter relationship
    My two daughters feel that I was not as good a mother as I should have been and they hold that against me to this day even though both of them are married. I was a single parent, worked two jobs, got an advanced degree and tried to give them the things other kids had. One is an attorney and one is a school teacher. I did make mistakes during the time I raised them but provided for them and loved them very much and they knew it. I don't understand why they treat me like I am not a good mother. They do at times seem to care for me but other times, they leave me entirely out of their lives. I do not know what else to do.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 05:09 PM

How old are your two daughters?
    cooch Posts: 38, Reputation: -1
    -

Apr 24, 2009, 05:20 PM

Why do you think that your daughters feel this way? Have they told you this? It seems that they have grown up to have good lives so you must have been a good mother.. How do they treat you? It's possible that are very busy with their own lives.

Apr 24, 2009, 06:39 PM

They have told me that I wasn't necessarily a good mother and they are very cold towards me and never call me when I am sick, etc. ANd I do meddle in their lives.

Apr 24, 2009, 06:40 PM
    Sorry, I meant that I do not meddle in their lives
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 07:15 PM

Can you answer the other questions people have asked you? How old are your daughters?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 02:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by docpat View Post
    My two daughters feel that I was not as good a mother as I should have been and they hold that against me to this day even though both of them are married. I was a single parent, worked two jobs, got an advanced degree and tried to give them the things other kids had. One is an attorney and one is a school teacher. I did make mistakes during the time I raised them but provided for them and loved them very much and they knew it. I don't understand why they treat me like I am not a good mother. They do at times seem to care for me but other times, they leave me entirely out of their lives. I do not know what else to do.

I am curious as to what exactly they thought that you could have done better? You worked two jobs, got an advanced degree, saw them both through to good careers, they are married, and doing well.

Just what are their problems anyway.

This may be one of those circumstances that they somehow feel short changed, or done wrong to, and only when they have their own children, will they realize just what being a parent really means.
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

May 2, 2009, 12:46 AM

Iam a single parnet of 3 childern whom have had it tough and I have made so really bad discions in my life that have effected badly, but we always managed, you I admit I was a crapy mom at times we all are. We are NOT perfect. We deal the best we can. All you can do is listen to them and apoligize to them for there sake that all you can do, but to beat yourself up for the past is useless yes there are things I am sure if you thought about it you would have changed but the past is the past that where it needs to lie, even they have things I am sure don't want to remember things from their past. They should be blessed your still in there lives and look other without mothers. It time for them to move on living in the past and being misriable just makes things worse.
    THey need to be More THANKFUL for what they have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult Alcoholic Depressed Daughter/Mother Relationship in trouble [ 5 Answers ]

I am so depressed. So sad. My adult daughter is not getting better or over her depression and alcoholism. She has a son whom I have, for all practical purposes, raising and I love him as though he was my own. It's been about 10 years now. It is wearing me down. My health is showing wear and...

Daughter and mother [ 5 Answers ]

I really need to know where I can turn for help. My daughter has a bad drug problem, no insurance, no money, no job, no thing... She even say that she does not have a problem.. If I do not get her help soon I feel she is going to harm herself and god only knows who else... she has had a wreck...

Rocky mother/daughter relationship-Grandaughter visitation [ 2 Answers ]

My mother is giving me the silent treatment, and didn't even call to wish me a happy birthday. But she still wants to see my two-year-old daughter for overnights. She asked to pick up my child at daycare and then drop her off at daycare the next day, so she wouldn't have to see me. I don't want...

Mother daughter [ 1 Answers ]

I feel like my mother hates me, even though when I say this she denies it, yet she never says I love you either. She is constantly criticizing me and giving unasked for advice about things that are not her business. She accuses me of being arrogant and haughty and a lot of other not nice things,...

Mother-daughter [ 11 Answers ]

For the last 8 years I have cared for a mom with Alzheimer's disease, and a 38 year-old daughter with breast cancer. Both have died. My oldest daughter was not there to help with the care of mom and her sister; claims no one in the family was there for her; blames me (mom) and never her dad, for...

View more questions Search