Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 01:03 PM
    Custody laws in Virginia
    I'm asking for a friend of the family that is in a bad situation. She found out that her husband is cheating (for the 2nd or 3rd time) and is going to see a lawyer Monday. He doesn't know that she knows and she doesn't plan on saying anything until the issue of custody is settled in court.

She seems to worry that he can come home at any time and take their kid away and there is nothing (legally) she could do. What are the laws in this case?

She lives in Virginia, and the child is both of theirs, he is currently in Florida as he could only find work in his field down there, she was due to move down there with him but obviously that's off.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2009, 01:08 PM

Until Custody has been established, he could come home, grab the kid and go live someplace else. However, if he doesn't inform her of where he moves, then he could be found guilty of parental kidnapping.

Even if he does do this, as soon as custody is established, he will have to return the child. The act of parental kidnapping is pretty much going to ensure that custody would be awarded to her.

Does she think that he will come home this weekend? If not, go to the lawyer Monday and do what they say.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 24, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Until Custody has been established, he could come home, grab the kid and go live someplace else. However, if he doesn't inform her of where he moves, then he could be found guilty of parental kidnapping.

Even if he does do this, as soon as custody is established, he will have to return the child. The act of parental kidnapping is pretty much going to ensure that custody would be awarded to her.

Does she think that he will come home this weekend? If not, go to the lawyer Monday and do what they say.
    Also infidelity may be grounds for divorce but they aren't grounds for custody. Its totally separate. So its no ace in the hole on the custody end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction laws in Virginia [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal in the State of Virginia to evict a pregnant person from an apartment for being 13 days late on the rent?

What are the expungement laws in virginia [ 1 Answers ]

I was convicted of a violence crime in the state of Virginia and served a five year sentence which I completed in June of 2006. I would like to get my conviction expunged or sealed. Do I qualify under Virginia law? Do I have to wait a certain amount of time before I can get it done?

Last Name on Birth Certificate, Virginia laws. [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved to Virginia while I'm 6 months pregnant. The father of the child is planning on coming down here in August and be here but because of finances may not be able to. My question is, Does he have to be there to give our child his last name? We are not married and I know if he isn't...

Eviction laws in virginia [ 4 Answers ]

My house has been foreclosed on. The person who purchased it says we have to be out tomorrow and will not extend the deadline. We have no money to go anywhere until the end of this week. She says she will begin the eviction process tomorrow morning. What are my rights, if any and what is the...

View more questions Search