Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaimetuirpin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 11:27 AM
    Privacy Act Violation
    I was just wondering if you can tell me if I have an account at a credit union, and no one is on the account but me, should balance information or any information be given to anyone but myself? I'm a employee of the credit union, and my spouse has an account there, but I'm not on his account. He has his account, and I have mine. We don't mix any of our business. It's easier for us to keep our household bill straight. We each know what we're responsible, and it just makes it easier. The president of our credit union left a message telling me about his account balance(which was negative) on my cell phone voice mail, and didn't even call him. He is very upset that his information was handled in this manner, and wants to keep from anyone else being handled in this manner. Is this a violation, and how should it be handled?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 01:18 PM

Do you have the same last name, mailing address and home phone number? It's possible they typed in his last name, found your file, the address matched and just called the number.

I don't know if disclosing the account statement to you would be illegal, your married so the money in there is technically 50% yours.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2009, 01:20 PM

Its probably a breach of ethics, but I don't think its illegal. I suspect is a small credit union where many things are done manually.

I would have a talk with the president and suggest he be more careful in the future.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 07:55 AM

Hello j,

The Privacy Act does NOT protect individuals from their information being disclosed. It protects COMPANIES from being sued when they disclose the private information of the individuals doing business with them...

I HATE the government.

excon
    Jlacy1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2010, 11:29 PM
    Hello, my name is JDL I submitted legal documents to my credit union (AFCU) for a wire transfer to several countries, I received an email from a friend that a current employee (teller) noticed the wire transfer was for myself, the women contacted a co-worker of mine and disclosed the content of the wire transfer. The information given to my co-worker was disclosed without my permission. Can I seek legal actions against this credit union for this situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Privacy violation [ 9 Answers ]

I am a New Jersey resident for the past 12yrs. I received Disability since 2005 for bipolar disorder. I assigned my ticket under the Ticket to Work Program within weeks of hearing about the program. I had hoped to take an Excel course which I thought would assist me in reentering the workplace. I...

Privacy act violation? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a local business owner who usually becomes very connected with my customers. A few days ago one of my customers/freind came to me with something that really shocked me and I am trying my best to help her with this situation. Here is the scenerio... She was in a car accident that was not her...

Violation of privacy act [ 3 Answers ]

I was a defendant in a small claims suit. The plaintiff was suing myself and our daughter for an unpaid loan that she had signed a contract with him when she was 19. He produced a letter from a used car dealer that stated that I had sold them a car and the amount that I received. Does this...

Violation of privacy [ 5 Answers ]

My landlord and I have an agreement that he will not walk people through my home. I have found out on two occasions that a realator brought people by but because I was there they could not enter. I will never give permission for someone to walk through my home with my belongings there. I work...

View more questions Search