Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curiositykills Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 07:20 PM
    Hipaa when a nurse is the patient
    I am a nurse and I recently had a serious illness that required emergency admittance and surgery. I was admitted to my previous hospital employer. I was on the surigal wing which was the appropriate place but after 2 days my old nurse manager showed up and said she just realized I was on the floor and was having me transferred not only off the floor but completely out of the building. She ask if that was OK and I said no but she said that it was already done and I couldn't do anything about it. My physician asked me later why they did it and I really didn't have an answer for him and frankly I wonder if it wasn't a violation of my HIPAA rights. Was a previous nursing supervisor within her rights to access my medical records and have me moved?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 07:43 PM

The current nursing supervisor ( may be your old boss but would still be the supervisor there) unless she left that hospital

They may have concern over a formal employee as a patient there. I can not see where it would be a problem, but if they felt it was, the hospital unless it is life threatening can ask for you to be treated somewhere else.

If she was still workig for that hospital, se was not a prevoius nursing supervisor but the current one and have access to your records as part of her job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symbol given to nurse by doctors on prescriptions for patient. [ 10 Answers ]

The medication prescription the doctor gave to my nurse to give to me on leaving the hospital has a sign, like a T with a dot over it. It has something to do with pills. Does anyone know exactly what this symbol means? Thanks

Keep being patient? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 11 months now. He was hurt very badly by his ex. He also is not a very affectionate man. Except when we are being intimate. My question is, he says that he is still "picking up the pieces". I knew in the beginning that I needed to be patient with him,...

Nurse/Patient relations [ 2 Answers ]

My wife is a nurse and has formed a friendship with a young M early 20's patient of hers. He's not in great health and I'm sure she cares for him in a maternal way and just wishes he gets better. My question is where do you draw the line? It's obvious they are friends at the clinic she works in. ...

HIPAA - dicussion of patient over telephone [ 1 Answers ]

Well, it actually happened to me! I never understood how these things happen BUT - A friend of mine had surgery yesterday. I have his P/A as well as his living will. They wheeled him off to surgery at 12PM. I went in at 2:30, 3:30, 4:30, 5:30, 6:30 and was told he was still in surgery. At...

Name of movie about a WWII British nurse who marries her patient [ 1 Answers ]

A movie from the '70s or '80s about a British nurse who takes care of a US soldier during WWII -- can't remember the name, but it's a two-word Latin phrase, I think. I was sure it was with Ben Gazzara and Deborah Kerr, but I searched both their filmography and couldn't find it. He becomes a...

View more questions Search