Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lordegeric Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 06:20 PM
    Change a tub to a shower on a concrete slab.
    My house was built in 1952. My tub drain is clogged. I tried snakeing it and the usual chemicals. I want to switch it out for a handicap shower. Will I have to cut up the slab? And On average Is that a pricy job ? Thanks ERIC
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 06:45 PM

This isn't the cheapest approach but Swanstone makes a fiber glass shower pan made to fit where a tub once was. Look for a 3260 retro R or L. The letter determines at which end you want the drain, they fit right in but the trap and drain will neeed some work. Swanstone Products Your tub has a 1 1/2" drain line at the trap and the shower comes with a 2" darin so it needs stepping down with a deducer. Also the lateral between the trap and the main drain needs to be lengthened about 5"
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2009, 07:52 AM
    I'm addition to Bobs excellent advice about Swanstones "Tub to Shower Base.(see image) he also touched upon,
    Your tub has a 1 1/2" drain line at the trap and the shower comes with a 2" darin so it needs stepping down with a reducer
    Let me enlarge on that a bit. Your 1950s house has a cast iron "P" trap with a 1 1/2" copper pipe raiser. you will need to install a 2 X 1 1/2" copper reducing coupling, (see image) to pick up the shower. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install new shower on concrete slab [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 40' x 40' shop that I am building an efficiency apartment in. The problem is the shower. I have a shower pan but I need to install the shower with as little platform height as possible. I don't want to remove any of the concrete floor. The standard p-trap for the 2" drain in the shower pan...

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

Installing shower or tub on concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

mattp New Member Join Date: Nov 2006 Posts: 1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am getting started on installing a full bath in my basement and I am some what intimidated by the tub/shower situation. I have a rough in for the tub...

Shower p-trap - concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I have already poured a 6 inch thick concrete slab for a shop floor. During the slab construction a 3 inch pvc rough stubbed drain was put in the concrete to act as the shower drain (from the shower to the septic tank line). I realized after the fact that no p-trap was placed within the slab; only...

View more questions Search