Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3isenuf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Irregular period, recently had baby
    I have a 3 month old baby. I got my period back when he was 2 months old (even though I'm exclusively nursing). That first period lasted 14 days then stopped for 4-5, then I had more bleeding for another 2 days before it stopped. Then on day 28 of my cycle I had some spotting. Thought my period was about to begin, but nothing happened again until day 35. On days 35-39, I had a lot of stretchy mucous with occasional light pink spotting or a couple times, some red streaking in it. It was never regular bleeding, though. The spotting and streaking is seen on the toilet paper only--I wouldn't even need a pantiliner if it weren't for the mucous. My husband and I had unprotected sex on day 24. I took a pregnancy test on day 35 and it was negative. My normal cycles are 26-31 days long, but this is the first one since the birth of my child, so I don't know what's going on. I've had two other children and my periods resumed normally after they were born. It's now day 42 and still no period. How could my period resume and then disappear like this? Any thoughts?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 01:12 PM

Pregnancy will be a possibility, but since you are nursing exclusively there is a good probability that it is simply your body adjusting to the hormone changes with birth and breastfeeding. It may not have even been a period that you experienced, given the timing and duration, but still part of your postpartum recovery.

If you are not hoping to be pregnant just yet, while exclusive breastfeeding can be fairly good at preventing pregnancy, it is not 100%, so you may want to consider using some sort of birth control.
    3isenuf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 03:11 PM
    Is there any danger to waiting this out? Or might there be some cause for concern that I should notify my OB about this?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 04:04 PM
    There is no danger in waiting this out, it's quite common actually, particularly while breastfeeding.

Now, just a warning, I wouldn't even say breastfeeding is 50% effective in preventing pregnancy. I know of several people who got pregnant during the first months after birth and while breastfeeding. I actually see it all the time in the hospital I work at.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Having a baby with an irregular period [ 1 Answers ]

I had an abortion 8 months ago and I never went in for a follow up. Ever since my periods are irregular , I haven't had a period n 3 months. Im trying to conceive, will I be able to have a baby?

Irregular Heartbeat in unborn baby [ 7 Answers ]

I am days away from hitting the 30 weeks mark, and at my last doctor's appointment which was days ago. The mid-wife was listening to the babies heartbeat and she heard a flutter sound every other heartbeat. After consulting the doctor they decided to send me to a high risk doctor at Winnie Palmer...

Irregular Period [ 7 Answers ]

I haven't had my period for a little over 2 months now, Ive taken 2 pregnancy tests and they were both negative. Im not really showing any signs on pregnancy. I have gas occasionally and minor back pain sometimes. I don't have the money or insurance to go see a doctor. So Im trying to see if...

Recently married and having Period Delay [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, I am a new member in this site and would need some information about marriage, prenancy and delay period since m living away from my family and would need some help. I got married 8 months ago, I always get my eriod on time with maximum two days delay in some months. My problem is...

Are you having an irregular period? Here are some causes and what you can do. [ 1 Answers ]

I have noticed a large number of posts regarding irregular periods. I thought I would take some time and post some information on this topic so maybe it can answer some of your questions. What is an irregular period? A textbook period happens every 24-29 days, but in truth what is “regular”...

View more questions Search