Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thecloser Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 10:09 AM
    Can an employer switch me from independent contractor to employee, when they realize
    I started working as an independent contractor, but sold more then the gym realized I could sell. The first two weeks, as agreed upon, I was paid the full check... then the last two weeks, they are stalling on the check, and wanting to have me fill out a w-4 and pay me half what is owed now... please help! Thanks
    cooch Posts: 38, Reputation: -1
    -

Apr 23, 2009, 10:56 AM

Did you fill out a W9 when you started as an independent contractor? If so, they can't change your status. They can't pay half of what they owe. Ask them why they are doing this. It doesn't make sense as they save money on taxes if you are an independent contractor.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 23, 2009, 11:50 AM

If you are in an at will state, they can terminate you at any time. So if they want to change the job strucutre, they certainly CAN do it.

They would still have to pay you as a contractor, up to the date of the switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you be both an employee and an independent contractor? [ 17 Answers ]

I have been searching on the IRS website and am trying to determine if a person can be both an employee and an independent contractor. For example, a person works for a company during the day, say doing A/P and then at night they clean the office. For the cleaning the office part, they have their...

Employee/Independent contractor [ 7 Answers ]

I asked my employer/company the following question: How does XXXXXXXXX classify us? As Independent Contractor or Employee's? Everything that I'm reading on the IRS site points to Independent Contractor. There response was: Yes you are considered a contractor.

Independent contractor vs employee [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a debate with colleagues in the dance school industry. I clearly know the difference between an independent contractor and an employee but many still hire teachers and treat them as independent contractors. They give them set hours, a weekly, monthly or hourly salary and have other...

Both Employee and Independent Contractor... [ 13 Answers ]

How do I properly file my taxes if I worked as an Employee and an Independent Contractor at various times throughout the year?

Both Independent Contractor and Employee? [ 6 Answers ]

I work as a marketing assistant for a real estate company, I get a base salary that the company pays, and on top of that I get a "commission bonus" from the specific agents I work for that is paid directly out of pocket by those agents. The commission bonus is based on what those agents themselves...

View more questions Search