Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orelan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 09:01 AM
    Word problems
    Can somebody help me? I'm terrible at word problems and inequalities don't help. Bayside Insurance offers two health plans. Under plan A, Giselle would have to pay the first $110 of her medical bills, plus 40% of the rest. Under plan B, Giselle would pay the first $190, but only 25% of the rest. For what amount of medical bills will plan B save Giselle money? Assume she has over $190 in bills. Giselle would save with plan B if she had more than ? In bills.
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 09:57 AM

You didn't give the amount of dollars she needs to pay in all for the medical bills. If the question was like that, then, let that amount be x.

A: pays $110 and 40% of rest

What she pays = 110 + 40% (x-110)

B: pays $190 and 25% of rest

What she pays = 190 + 25% (x-190)

Now simplify and compare to see where she pays less. After, that, we'll proceed to the next part of the question if you haven't figured the rest on your own yet. k? :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pre cal word problems [ 1 Answers ]

A 100 foot line is attached to a kite. When the kite has pulled the line taunt, the angle of elevation to the kite is approximatley 50 degrees. Approximate the height of the kite.

Word Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Find the average speed for the given distance and time. Include the units of measure in your answer. An airplane travels 800 miles in 120 minutes.

Word Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Now that I finally understand functions and how they work, I have one more question about them. I apologize in advance if this is a repeat question. The question is 2 cars are leaving at a difference of 3 hours. The first car is written as d(t)=50t t represents the time in hours, and 50 is the...

Word problems [ 2 Answers ]

A fruit vendor bought 36 pineapples for $30. He sold some at $1.29 each and the rest at $1.09 each, thereby gaining $13.64. How many did he sell at each price? :confused:

View more questions Search