Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Sep 18, 2006, 02:26 PM
    Norton kicks me off internet after 10 min
    About a month ago the Norton security program expired on my laptop. My computer geek friend loaded the latest version. Ever since then I can remain on the internet for just under 10 minutes before it kicks me off. My e-mail continues to work fine. My friend says he will look at it, but has been too busy geeking other computers. I am afraid that I may die of old age before he returns. Other computer people have expressed a violent hatered for anything Norton/Semantec, and have advised me to get rid of it. Any suggestions?
    Sager Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Nov 2, 2006, 03:21 PM
    I use Norton 2006 System Works Premier and NEVER get 'kicked off-line'. Are you sure it is the Norton software ? If you have the Norton CD, you might go to
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...nsf&view=docid
    And uninstall everything and reload the CD and run Live Update. Past experience, this started the clock all over again. Otherwise, you might have to spend a few bucks and get a new license for another year.

Nov 4, 2006, 02:16 PM
    A couple of days ago I took the laptop back to my computer friend. After a few minutes he came back and told me that Microsoft considers my Windows XP to be "not genuine" and that is the cause of the problem. The Windows XP came loaded on the HP laptop that I purchased from Sam's Club about 18 months ago. He said that I would have to call Microsoft and give them some numbers from the disc envelopes and that they would provide a fix. Apparently MS has had a problem with their pirate police labeling legit programs as bogus. I will let you know if that proposed solution works.
    marburg Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2006, 02:16 PM
    Dr. D

Have you checked your modem settings? I had a modem that used as a default setting to automatically log me off the internet after 10 minutes of inactivity. If your modem has been set to that you can change it.

Marburg

Dec 1, 2006, 05:14 PM
    I have a high speed internet connection. I don't believe that the problem is in the modem, because my desktop computer is fine on the internet, just the laptop has the problem. I have been in contact with the Microsoft geeks, who give a long convoluted list of stuff to download and steps to follow. Since my winow of opportunity is only 9 1/2 minutes, I run out of time,get frustrated, and go back to my desktop for a few days. Then they close out my case, and I have to wait for another geek to start the process again. You can probably tell that I am at wits end.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Dec 8, 2006, 07:15 PM
    Any reason you can not contact Microsoft on desktop PC, download the fix , burn to disk [ or floppies]and install from disk?-- Savage
    Also did you try a restore point prior to norton upgrade? {Personally I dislike norton but that's just me}

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please Help I can't Uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005! [ 3 Answers ]

:mad:Please help I have been trying for 2 days to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005, the Anti virus was showing as "Files corrupt" advised me to uninstall and reinstall, two days later after various attempts and reading on the Symantec website still none the wiser. Tried Add/Remove programs...

Norton internet security 2005 antispyware edition [ 2 Answers ]

I have tried to uninstall the above and it is now part uninstalled as something happened while uninstalling now I can not get in to uninstall again to remove the rest. HELP!

Norton or AVG [ 3 Answers ]

I run Windows XP and norton anti virus but I still get viruses so I downloaded AVG but I'ts making my machine run slowly - do I need both? Can I get rid of Norton and still be protected? How can I speed up my machine? I've run disk cleanup, I don't have temp files cloggin it up, since...

Norton Internet Security 2005 Query [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everone - I am quite new to this so please bear with me. I have been trying to install NIS 2005 on my computer for the past few days with major problems. Eventually I have got everything working except for Intrusion Detection which I cannot switch on. I get an error message and the link to...

Norton Internet Security [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys Please help me I have recently installed Norton Internet Security 2005 onto my XP machine. I have created a situation whereby I am still the administrator but have changed my name to dad. This now means I can't log off as dad and log back on as administrator. I have tried creating a new...

View more questions Search