Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thepeterman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 01:09 AM
    Can both (divorced) parents claim child for EIC
    My daughter is a full time college student living away from home age 23. I paid over 50% of her living expenses in 2008 and she worked earning a little over $10,000. In 08. Her mother claimed her as a dependent as she has since our divorce over 10 years ago. I ented her as a Nondependant - Used for EIC/dependant care only. Turbo Tax instructed me that I could file this way as long as she is a student under 25 & over 19. My return was rejected by the IRS because both parents can't claim as a dependent. When I changed her status to My child away at college Turbo tax also accepted that. I'm just not sure if it's correct since her mom also claimed her as a dependent. Should I just claim her as a non dependent and pay the extra tax (which is significant). Trying to get my ex to amend her return is not an option.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Look at the personal exemption line on your tax return. If it adds your daughter's $3,500 personal exemption, that is the reason the IRS rejected it.

File Head of Household and claim your daughter as a "qualifying person" but not as an exemption. That should fix the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorced/non-divorced parents college tuition responsibilities in Indiana [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Indiana. I have a friend who is divorced. It is in his divorce documents to share in paying for his children's college education, but it is in there because his lawyer told him there is a state law in Indiana that requires parents (divorced and non-divorced) to pay for their children's...

Non custodial parents rights to claim child at tax time? [ 2 Answers ]

I need some answers!! My child who is 8 yrs old was not in contact with his father until April 2007. My child never met this person until last year and now he thinks he has the right to claim my child at tax time. I have full custody of my child. What can I do about this situtation. I really am...

Parents are Divorced [ 10 Answers ]

Ok, I'm 15 and I live in MN, USA. My parents are divorced and I want to go live w/ my Dad but I'm not sure if I have that choice yet?

Divorced Parents [ 8 Answers ]

I am 15, turning 16 in October. My parents have been divorced since I can remember. I visit my dad every other weekend. My question is when I turn 16, I plan to go to more parties and such because I can drive. How do I separate from the dad? On those weekeds I would rather do other things, it...

Divorced parents [ 3 Answers ]

My husband's daughter is getting married. Her mother is not married, but living with someone. At the wedding the daughter would like her mom and dad to dance together. Is this proper etiquette. My husband wanted me to find out the correct procedure. Thank you

View more questions Search