Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PiddlePaddle234 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 01:41 PM
    I was fired for having a miscarriage
    I started Jan 13, 2009- April 14, 2009 (which is exactly 3 months).

I found out I was pregnant in February I was about 7 weeks. I continued to work 6 days a week on my feet at a beauty supply store. I didn't have any problems with my pregnancy except lifting heavy. I finally told my boss I was pregnant when I had to go by ambulance to the hospital because of severe bleeding (MAR6). I was supposed to work that day but I called and told them Im in emergency and their doing tests to see what's wrong. They found out I had a blood clot 7cm wide in my uterus and a 6cm cyst on my ovary but my baby was fine (somehow its common apparently). I had to go to the hospital another time after that (MAR31) and then when I went for a follow up ultrasound (a month later) they kept me there for 5 hours because they thought something was wrong.. I called my work and told them what was going on.. and went to work after and thought everything was fine for another 2 weeks then (APR11-EasterWKND) I went to emergency that morning for heavy bleeding and cramps was there all day (luckily my 1 day off/week) I found I was having a miscarriage, I called my boss and told her what was going on.. (SUN-TUES was closed for easter WKND) They couldn't do an ultrasound because they only had 1 radiologist and I had to wait till Tuesday.. I go in the morning and they tell me to check back into emergency because I need emergency surgery because there is a huge infection in my uterus because the fetus didn't fully come out.. so they kept in the hospital for two more days and I had a D&C that night at midnight. I called my boss as soon as I found out I needed emergency surgery and she fired me on the spot! I have all doctor's notes and all the doctor's names and numbers that I gave her so she could verify I was in the hospital every time.. and she just yelled at me and said Im done.. and come get my cheque when I get out of the hospital. I tried telling her my complicated pregnancy wouldn't have me in the hospital anymore because I just lost my baby.. so I could come back to work but I found out she replaced me the previous week took my schedule down.. and didn't tell me this or gave me notice for termination until Tuesday the 14th I had my surgery..

Can she do this?. no notice just fire me and not say anything.. or fire me for needed emergency surgery?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 01:48 PM

Where? US? Great Britain?
    rachelrae Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2009, 02:08 PM
    I mean I would deff take her to court when its about health you can most likely win sue for losing your job and your baby along with mental anguish that is if you told her that you were pregnant
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 03:07 PM

If this is the US you can be fired for any and no reason. And apparently missing work might have been the reason you were fired.
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rachelrae View Post
    i mean i would deff take her to court when its about health you can most likely win sue for loosing ur job and ur baby along with mental anguish that is if yu told her that yu were prego

Please read the site rules before you post.

Apr 23, 2009, 12:47 PM

Im in British Columbia, Canada
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rachelrae View Post
    i mean i would deff take her to court when its about health you can most likely win sue for loosing ur job and ur baby along with mental anguish that is if yu told her that yu were prego

Please post your research - I do not find this to be correct but perhaps you know something I don't know.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    perhaps you know something I don't know.
    Of course she does, can't you tell by the spelling?

Apr 24, 2009, 11:29 AM

Can you take them to court if you're in Canada? Or just go through Labour Relations?

Technically it is her word against mine..
    Though I have doctor's papers and witnesses.. she's sneaky.. I bet she would lie..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Threatened miscarriage or misdiagnosed miscarriage? [ 3 Answers ]

I've just recently found out I was pregnant, my period was NOT late yet, but I had light spotting and had high hopes so I took a cheap hpt and it showed up positive(My LMP was 10/20/08). The following day I went to the woman's clinic, I was confirmed pregnant. My OBGYN sent me to a lab for blood...

Fired from job because I was very ill in ICU [ 4 Answers ]

I was just fired from my job today because I was in the Emergency Room and ICU in the hospital all of last week, returned to work today and the manager said I was terminated last week for excessive absences. I was unable to call my workplace nor did I have access to their number, so asked my mother...

Can you be fired for having chron's disease? I am afraid I am going to be fired, [ 4 Answers ]

I have worked for a company for 18 years. I was diagnosed with Chron's Disease 5 years ago and sometimes I get really sick and have to be hospitilized and now they think I should be fired and it really gets me. Is that lawful?? :mad:

Not fired, then fired, after boss was beat [ 6 Answers ]

I was called in the office and confronted about time differences on the time sheet. I had to wait for a customer to get home that morning, (30 min.). I called the office and informed them. So I added 15 extra minutes to my time. I was told that I couldn't do that. I asked was I being fired for it...

View more questions Search