Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 10:56 AM
    What was your bad parent moment?
    I had a thread asking if it was okay that my daughter would crawl into the dryer. Yep, the dryer. No worries she no longer goes in there- it was just a starting habit.

That would be my bad mommy moment.

What was your moment?

Feel free to share, us parents aren't perfect [shh.. don't tell the kiddies]

Sarah
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 11:07 AM

Years ago I was shopping, and the smalls ones were tired and cranky,I forgot something,milk I think,baby was in the buggy,and two year old was holding older child's hand. I left an ten year old in charge of the two year old.
    She got distracted by the hair clips and my two year old wondered off.. totally irresponable on my behalf.
    Both still remember to this day.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 11:11 AM

Sadly, I have a worse one than losing your 2-year-old. Our daughter was a few months old; my husband put her carseat into the base in the truck; I helped the other kids buckle up. We got home and realized that we both had thought the other one had fastened the baby's belt in her carseat... all the way home and never locked in. Thank God we didn't get into an accident!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 11:18 AM

How long do you have?

I bought my eldest a new outfit (6 months old)and did not take out all the pins,one was hidden in the front of his shirt.He was cranky all day.:o

Little did I know he was being poked by this pin all day! I also got him stuck in a turtleneck one time and I was laughing so hard,I was incapable of movement,while he is yelling for help.:rolleyes:

I cut my one sons ear while giving him a haircut.I told him to be still:eek:

Told my youngest one time while he was bugging me at dinner time for a drink to just get his milk off the table,it was a cup with cornstarch and water for my gravy.Wrong cup!:p

There must be more ,I think I have most likely just tried to block them out !
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 11:33 AM

Ahh, the turtleneck reminded me of this one:

Last week my stubborn 2-year-old decided she didn't want her coat on anymore. Tried taking it off herself. Got her arms stuck behind her with her coat pulled down to her elbows. Sat there screaming, "Mama, help! Mama, help!" while I sat there crying because I was laughing so damn hard :D
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 11:37 AM

Haha this is getting good.

Sarah
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 03:44 PM

Here's a song for Stay at home dads : Stay at home dad

Sarah
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

Apr 22, 2009, 04:03 PM

Not a parent but I was babysitting a baby at age 14 or something. I had no idea what to do but her mom said itd be fine and shed probably sleep. About an hour later the baby started screaming and crying and I tried to make her feel better but nothing made her happy (she was very attached to her mom). So the baby is crying. I am crying and I can't get a hold of anyone. She finally comes back apologizing and leaves with the baby still screaming and me traumatized from ever having babies. Not necessarily bad... just... a miscalculation on the mom's part. :p
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 06:56 PM

I would never forget this. When my daughter was around the age 3 she used to love to play hide-and-go-seek. Well on this day she forgot to asked me to play and just decided to hide. I was watching law and order and during the commericals I went to check on her but I couldn't find her. I checked the bedroom, bathroom, livingroom, in the closets and calling her name out while I was looking.

Then I thought she somehow got out of the house and went outside looking. Luckily I had my cellphone in my pocket because I ended up getting locked out my house. I called the cops to report my daughter as missing and was I shouting and crying that neighbor came out to see what was wrong.

Long story short, after about 30 minutes with a broken window(had to break to back in the house, actually one of the cops broke it) I found my daughter under my bed and she had the nerve asked "What took you so long to find me". I was into the show that I didn't notice she came into my bed and went under my bed. This was the scariest moment ever and I really thought I was going have a heart attack because my heart was racing and was pumping faster than a nascar driver.

Me and my dauhter had a long, long talk after this incident and she never did that again. Thank God!
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 07:44 PM

WOW liz that must've been wild.

I just remembered one of mine.

I was super tired and decided to lay down on the couch. I drifted off and when I awoke, startled of course, I jumped up and looked for my daughter. She was in her room with an open bag of flour-- which went absoloutely everywhere.

Since then I've made sure I don't snooze off when I'm supposed to be parenting!

Sarah
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 07:56 PM

That happen to me but instead of flour it was eggs. Eggs on the floor and in the dresser. I was so mad but I made her clean it up.

And don't get me starting about writing + drawing on the walls. I am glad Mr.Clean created that magic marking eraser. I see why some landlords don't want to rent out their property to peple with kids.
    logicalthinker Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 09:53 PM

Hmmm... That's an easy one for me! I work overnights and sleep while my daughter is in school. I have an alarm set to wake up a couple minutes before she gets home to unlock the door. Well I must have turned the alarm off instead of hitting snooze! She had been out of school for an hour and a half. Luckily a neighbor saw her outside and brought her over to her house. She called my cell (ringer was off) so I knew where to get her. Luckily she was safe and sound, but it took me several weeks to stop crying when I would think about the "what if's" Definitely at the top of my worst mommy moments
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 08:52 AM

Didn't happen to me, but my stepkids' mom:

She went to take a shower. While she was in the bathroom, the kids(6 and 4 at that time) took a bottle of baby lotion and a bottle of baby powder, dumped both of them all over the carpeting and proceeded to ride their bikes through it.
    nervey Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2009, 02:07 PM

At the time I had a toddler and an infant. We pulled into a drive way that lead to our apartment down an alley and I stopped to check the mail. It was raining very hard and I just wanted to grab the mail quickly. W/O realizing I must have hit the lock on the car door, when I went to get back in the car it was locked and the two kids still in the running car. I ran in the rain down the alley and got something to jog the back side window open on the car and used a screw driver to take the window off(it was a hatch back with those weird back windows) they were fine but it was a bad mommy moment for sure.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 10:55 PM

Mmm well, when my daugther was 4 she was sleeping at about 10pm. We live in Arizona and a good rain is hard to find. It was monsoon season so it was very warm, so no worries about getting too cold. But I pulled her out of bed all excited and bundled her up and we went and played out in the rain at 10pm for a good hour!! We had a lot of fun!! But I had a hard time getting her back to bed *blush* lol.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 11:03 PM

OOH I have one that my mom did. Me and her still laugh about it to this day!

I was 5. and early in the morning (about 4am) I go into her room and say 'momma, can I go see grandma?"

half asleep she just goes 'yeah sure go ahead'

UGH LOL

grandma lived 3 blocks down the road!!!!

so im walking down the road. all alone in the dark. im amazed i made it!! and i get to grandmas house. and grandma is like WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE????

mom calls my grandma all frantic saying 'mom jennie is lost!! i lost her!!" and grandma goes nah. She is here getting a spankin from her grand dad for leaving the house alone.

Hahah needless to say I never asked my mom anything while she was asleep again :P
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 2, 2009, 04:07 PM

Ugh, with four kids I have several "oops...won't do that again, hope no one was looking" moments... thank goodness they are pretty durable... :)

Here's one:

When oldest was 2, we were out for a walk and it was time to go in. As we walked across the threshold of the doorway, she decided she didn't want to go in and sat down on the ground. I was still holding onto her hand.

She started to cry and we went inside. For about the next 20 minutes or so she wouldn't use her hand to pick anything up and kept crying.

We tried to entice her to use that hand with sweets, toys, etc. but it was no use. We called the doctor's and took her in. He briefly checked her out, gave her a cracker in her other hand to eat, and gave her arm a quick pull... popping her elbow back into the socket! He said it was quite common... called nursemaids elbow... although he called it "mothers elbow"... great.

I felt so bad and never heard the end of how I pulled our daughter's arm out of the socket!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2009, 04:14 PM

Any of you moms ever spit into a tissue and wipe your child's dirty face? (When I mentioned to my younger son I used to do that to him and his brother, he couldn't believe it. My mom did it to us, always of course when water was unavailable.)
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 05:05 PM
    [QUOTE=liz28;1685459]I would never forget this. When my daughter was around the age 3 she used to love to play hide-and-go-seek. Well on this day she forgot to asked me to play and just decided to hide. I was watching law and order and during the commericals I went to check on her but I couldn't find her. I checked the bedroom, bathroom, livingroom, in the closets and calling her name out while I was looking.

Then I thought she somehow got out of the house and went outside looking. Luckily I had my cellphone in my pocket because I ended up getting locked out my house. I called the cops to report my daughter as missing and was I shouting and crying that neighbor came out to see what was wrong.

Long story short, after about 30 minutes with a broken window(had to break to back in the house, actually one of the cops broke it) I found my daughter under my bed and she had the nerve asked "What took you so long to find me". I was into the show that I didn't notice she came into my bed and went under my bed. This was the scariest moment ever and I really thought I was going have a heart attack because my heart was racing and was pumping faster than a nascar driver.

Me and my dauhter had a long, long talk after this incident and she never did that again. Thank God![/QUOTE

Oh my ,My uncle used to tell all the kids *GO HIDE* really excited and they would go and he never came looking for them.It was his joke!

Now your sweetie,she trusted you just like the kids with my uncle I'm LMAO because my unc did it on purpose.

They would be hiding and so quiet,I would tell him it was mean and I would go find them.. :rolleyes:after a while!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 3, 2009, 04:02 AM

That's just it... it wasn't like she was pulling, trying to avoid going inside... certainly I would have just scooped her up and carried her inside. We were walking along normally and she just sat right down as we were stepping in!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

She says she can't be with me at the moment. [ 4 Answers ]

Hey I have been in a serious relationship for 2 years we have been closest you could ever imagine, been on 5 mint holidays never been so in love, she has said all the things like I'm her soulmate she has never loves anyone like me, I've made her whole life a million times better etc etc before me...

Absent parent contesting step-parent adoption [ 11 Answers ]

My husband is attempting to adopt my daughter (age 11), he has been her dad now for about 9 years. The biological father has not seen his child since she was 5 months old and never paid child support. I have a child support order and a permanent restraining order which was granted in Kansas, 1997....

Custodial Parent allows child to live with non custoial parent [ 8 Answers ]

Can the custodial parent allow a minor child to move in with the non custodial parent? Can this be done with out a court order, if both the custodial & non custodial parent agree on the conditions or do they need to file with the court?

Unexplainable moment [ 7 Answers ]

Is it possible for someone to walk into a room and the smell of my perfume be so strong that it gagged him, yet I lived two states away, and hadn't been there for months? What does that mean? We'd been friends for over 20 years, and I hadn't lived by him for 16 of those years, we discovered that...

Moment of inertia [ 2 Answers ]

what is the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere with mass 5 kg and radius .5m I know the equation is 2/3mR^2 but I don't know how to include the units

View more questions Search