Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nyracer07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 10:51 PM
    B&S 18.5HP Intek OHV spits and sputters when throttle moved off idle
    I have a Craftsman yard tractor with the B&S 18.5HP Intek OHV motor in it. Last fall, as I was driving it to the storage shed for the winter, it started spitting and sputtering and almost sounded like the was a leak in the exhaust system. It sounded similar to a car when the gasket blows out in the exhaust system. I shut it down immediately and pushed it into the shed and never had a chance to get back to it until now. I looked everything over and I didn't sse anything obvious on the outside of the motor like oil running down the side or something like that. There was very little gas in it so I thought maybe I mistook running out of gas for a problem. I add some gas and started it up. At idle it seemed to run fine but as soon as I moved the throttle to a higher speed it started running rough and blowing gas out of the carburetor. I pulled the spark plug and it was covered in carbon. It almost acts like the motor cannot burn all of the fuel that is going in and is running rich. I would like to try to rememdy the situation myself before taking it to the repair shop if I can. Any suggestions as to what I should look at? Could the coil have gone bad and it's not getting enough spark? Maybe the plug (original, at least 5 years old) just needs to be replaced? I've seen a lot of talk about valve adjustment on the site for other Intek motors. Could it be that? Any ideas as to what I can try would be appreciated. Thank you.
    nyracer07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 11:16 PM

A little additional info. Mower is a DYT4000 (917.273632) and the motor is a 31P777 0348E1.
    Homegrown55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2014, 04:22 PM
    With 5 years of runtime, it most certainly is in need of a valve adjustment. The symptoms also SEEM to indicate that as well

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Get get gas to go into tank and it spits some out [ 2 Answers ]

For a few weeks when filling up my tank it would take a long time to fill it up, the pump would quit like it was filled up. Tonight when I tried to fill it up I could only get it to take 2 cents at a time plus it wouldn't all go in it would like spit some back out. Could you help me with this...

88 Chevy has fluctuating idle and extremely low idle turning either direction. [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 88 Chevy pickup. It originally started as a low idle when turning sharp either directing (and sometimes dieing) and evolved into the idle fluctuating up and down when you are straight. I don't notice this when driving, only when idling or turning. I took it to a Chevy dealer, and they...

Lawnmower spits oil and smoke [ 6 Answers ]

The lawnmower runs but spits oil and smokes. We emptied both the oil and gas and foud that there is oil in the gasoline. Is this fixable or should we buy a new lawnmower?

My 4 year old Spits up. Is that Normal? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My 4 Year old Has Been Spitting up Lately.. Its Kind of Like Throw up But a Very Little Bit of it. I know Babies that are like 0 to 7 months Spit up After Eating and Burping. But at 4 Years Old?? I am Getting Kind of Worried about her spitting up. Is This Normal or Should I Go to the ER...

View more questions Search