Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scliq Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 09:35 PM
    Embarrassing is Hurtful?
    I have just calmed down after having a good cry.

Now Am I alone?

I have been told once again by my 16 year old daughter that she does not want us (Mom, Dad, Aunt & Grandma) to come to a school event because she is embarrassed of us.

It is just really starting to hurt hearing this time & time again. Especially when it comes to her Aunt & Grandma who lives with us and gives her everything, they are the 1st person she runs to when she wants Gas Money or other things.

I will not hurt them by telling them the reason we don't go here or there at school events because it hurts me and don't want them to feel the hurt I feel.

Am I wrong after years of this to be Hurt?

Thanks,
    Lisa
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 09:41 PM

Lisa I am sorry about your pain. But why is she embarrassed, did she give a specific reason?
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Apr 21, 2009, 09:49 PM

This is pretty typical of teenagers... I know I felt the same when I was around your daughter's age. It's may not be that you are actually doing anything to embarrass her but she obviously perceives it as such, but I think she could have went about telling you in way as to not hurt your feelings.
    cogirl4now Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jun 12, 2009, 10:52 PM

Its just a phase. You should go to the events anyway so she doesn't feel like she can control you. You're the parent, she's the child, and she'll get over it and forgive you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 11:11 PM

One of my boys made s similar comment, I went to pick them up the next day after school, with some PIGS in the back of the pickup,

You know they decided just me going to a school event was not that bad.

What about the family bothers them
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2009, 12:11 AM

My uncle lives to embarrass me and my cousins. His favorite outfits consists of nearly neon plaid shorts with striped shirts. One of his favorite past times is intimidating our dates when they come over. I like fr_chuck's advice. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2009, 06:30 AM

I went through that phase. I hated shopping with my mum because I was embarrassed about other kids at school seeing me shopping with "mummy"
    These days I love shopping with mum, I practically beg her to go to town with me!

She will get over it. Please don't take it to heart, a lot of teenagers act the same way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

So embarrassing! [ 12 Answers ]

I'm 16 and I'm so ashamed of my body. From my shoulders down (including my arms) every hair on my body is dark and completely visible! My back, stomach, chest, thighs and even my bottom! :( Now, from my knees to my ankles I can handle, just do what every other normal woman does and shaves....

Embarrassing wetness [ 17 Answers ]

When myself and my partner make love, I get extremely wet and as my partner calls it, I am a gusher. I don't have a problem with this especially as my pertner rather likes that he can make me do this but I do have a problem with the mess it is making off our mattress and the abount of washing of...

Hurtful Break_up [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I have been going out with my boyfriend fro 5 months to be exact. He has a 6 year old son and I have three kids. We both have been in a relationship that did not work out for the both of us and so we both were trying to fix our past mistakes and making our relationship work. Well for my...

Ami I doing the right thing? My mom is hurtful! [ 7 Answers ]

My mom left me and my elder sis when I was only 2 yrs old with my sisters dad, she was dating my biological dad when she conceived me but they broke up and she stayed back with my sisters dad as he accepted me . I grew up with her dad and step mom until I was 9. my childhood was very unhappy. My...

Ok... this is embarrassing... [ 14 Answers ]

So tonight things are getting hot and heavy between me and my lady friend, and we decide to take it to the bedroom... I was SO ready to go until it came time, then I just totally freaked myself out and couldn't do it! Now, I have NO problem getting aroused by any means, but I just couldn't shut off...

View more questions Search