Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deeg09 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Tongue Side or Groove Side against the wall for subfloor
    Hi,

I am getting ready to put down an OSB subfloor (4X8 Sheets) and am just wondering what makes the most sense to put up against the wall? The tongue side or the groove side? I seem to find no information on this.

Also, I see on most information to leave the boards about 1/8 " apart when joining the boards and not getting them tight together... this surprised me because I always see them getting hammered tightly together.

Last question, how much room for expansion should I allow around the perimeter?
    Thanks,
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 03:33 PM

First of all use liquid nail on the joist. This stops the squeaks and also holds the board down, If this is over and old floor liquid nail every 16" long ways and screw/ribbed nailed down.

The tongue and groove need to stay tight. The "gap" theory here is for ply on the roof of hot and cold expansion.

Also stagger the sheet runs. Next sheet is cut and 4' starts beside a 8 foot sheet Like laying brick.

I like the grove showing in my direction. Don't nail that end quite yet until the next sheet is tight and square to the first sheet. The tongue is easier to start into the grove. Many times you need a small sledge and a 2 by scab to tap/beat in that next sheet to get the grove and tongue tight and square.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 03:54 PM

21boat covered this well. Think of this if you pput the tongue on one wall you will likely have the groove on the other wall or close to it. For most of us it really matters very little.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump on Side of Tongue [ 9 Answers ]

I am convinced I have tongue Cancer. About 4 months ago I went to the dentist and he hit my tongue with the drill. Shortly after that I noticed a lump on the left side of my tongue. I have been to two different doctors for a total of three times. Two of the times it was with a Cancer Specailist...

Lump with pain on side of tongue. [ 7 Answers ]

I have had a painful lump on the right side of my tongue about two times over the past year. I am a 23 yr old smoker and drinker... which I know is half my problem. This lump usually arises after I have been asleep for a bit. It usually cause me to talk a bit different and has some pain...

Old oak tongue & groove flooring [ 2 Answers ]

Did they contruct oak tongue and groove flooring without a subfloor?

Lump on Side of the tongue [ 1 Answers ]

I am convinced I have tongue Cancer. About 4 months ago I went to the dentist and he hit my tongue with the drill. Shortly after that I noticed a lump on the left side of my tongue. I have been to two different doctors for a total of three times. Two of the times it was with a Cancer Specailist...

Kenmore Elite not cooling refrigerator side or side by side [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 53609202 side-by-side. The freezer is working fine, the air flow into the freezer is working, the fan is on. There is another fan in the bottom rear that is also on. There is nothing in the refrigerator to block the vents. There is a little frost on the rear panel...

View more questions Search